Transaction fees

Grossman2
Contributor
Contributor

This is probably going to sound pretty dumb to seasoned eBayers, but I was always under the impression there was only one set of fees for selling payable to eBay, and that was then deducted from the Paypal account. Having just sold a fairly high-value item, Paypal has already deducted a fee and there is a different figure showing in my eBay account to be deducted later in the month! Have I got my knickers in  a twist, or do sellers get hit twice - once for selling on eBay and then another transaction fee on Paypal?!!

Login to Me Too
32 REPLIES 32

jmagee
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you do get hit twice by both feebay and paypal. I didn't realise either when I started up my ebay account. Paypal take a transaction fee when you receive a payment (after positive feedback is received and the payment is cleared) and ebay take a percentage aswell. For nearly all consumer goods ebay take 10%, different for cars etc, and paypal take 4.20888% or something like that as well! At the end of it you only end up with about half of the selling price 😞

Login to Me Too

Grossman2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that - it's just as I expected! Now I can understand why so many sellers encourage people to pay via alternative means to Paypal!!

Login to Me Too

mrswright
New Community Member

Is this a recent thing as I did a lot of ebay selling about 3 years ago and I don't remember having to pay transaction fees.  Putting me right off continuing, may as well carboot my goods as I'll end up getting the same money without traipsing to the post office on a regular basis.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey guys,

Yeah as jmagee says, there is a PayPal and eBay fee. The PayPal receiving fee is 3.4% + 0.20p.  And then eBay charge depending on your listing and the final value of the item.  

Mrswright, the receiving fee with PayPal isn’t a new thing, it has always been in place. Maybe you were receiving payment a different way.

Login to Me Too

Techie
Contributor
Contributor

Transactions fees is not a new thing, but the +20p FEE is new!  (Brought in about 1 year ago)

In the past the fee was just a percentage so if you make a sale of £100.00 and the transaction fee was 3.4% then PayPal would keep £3.40.

With the new system it would be £3.40 + 0.20p = £3.60

Note: The clever bit though is if you make lots of small value sales say £1.00

Old system cost = 0.03p / 0.04p (Probably always rounded up?)

New system cost = 0.03p + 0.20p = £0.23p  (You do the maths!)

Login to Me Too

neets60
New Community Member

Yes I do believe it is a new thing.  I am just looking into that myself when I realised that I had fees stopped from a payment received from one of my buyers on ebay.   Its a con..........will have to look at other means for my buyers to pay me.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

No, i'm sorry, but it's not a new thing. This has been the basis of PayPal's business since day one.

The only differnce I can think of is at one point (going back 3+ years) you were able to receive 5 payments a year without fees if you had a personal account. I believe you also voided your seller protection on these payments.

Login to Me Too

Wraggyste
New Community Member

@PayPal_john wrote:

No, i'm sorry, but it's not a new thing. This has been the basis of PayPal's business since day one.

The only differnce I can think of is at one point (going back 3+ years) you were able to receive 5 payments a year without fees if you had a personal account. I believe you also voided your seller protection on these payments.

I'm sorry but this cannot possibly be the case.  I too used to trade without fees until my last lot of sales 12m+ ago.  Only looking again now as have a couple of larger items to sell and cost is again making me think twice.  If Paypal has never been free, then why does Ebay still state quite clearly that it is. The following is taken directly from Ebay-Pretty clear I think.

PayPal Personal accounts allow you to accept payments free of charge, except from credit cards. PayPal Premier and Business accounts charge fees but also allow you to accept credit card payments.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Smiley Surprised

Where does it say that?? eBay need to update their website.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.