Sending money concern

Plaxiotic
New Community Member

I am wanting to purchase an item from someone in a different country. He wants me to pay through Paypal, which I agree. But If I send him the money, and he doesn't send me the item, am I out that money? Or is it like eBay where you can file a claim? I can't see how it would be possible to file a claim since there is no proof he said he would send me it in the first place. Im not sure what to do, any suggestions? I want the item badly but I don't want to risk getting scammed.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Plaxiotic -

Welcome to the Community!

Just like on eBay, you can file a claim if you made the payment through PayPal.  Make sure that you include your shipping address with the payment, and mark is as Goods (since they're shipping you something).  Don't use the Gift or Personal payment options, as those are meant for transfers between friends and family members. 

For more information on your available protections via PayPal, check this out.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

wa7sh
Contributor
Contributor

Hey my man ,

I bought a service from a site

they did not give me my service and they did not returne me my money.

What can I do? please help me

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

wa7sh -

If you haven't yet, consider reaching out to the merchant.  An open, honest stream of communication can work wonders for resolving issues, especially with digital goods or services.

If you are unable to reach a resolution after repeated attempts, you might consider filing a dispute with PayPal (this must be done within 45 days of having sent the payment).  To learn more about this process, check out this page.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Drumred
Contributor
Contributor
Will this scenario work? I am the buyer and the seller has sent me the email note below. "Paypal should be fine. I just have a few ground rules. Since you can cancel or dispute a payment on Paypal, you'll have to wait until the money actually transfers to my account, and is not just initiated. This means I wait 24hrs to send after the money is received. The shipping will be standard 2-3 day to give me extra security on your payment. I arrange all shipping details. Does this sound okay? I'd like to sell this to you, but I need to go through this extra security since you don't live nearby." Thanks for any advice.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Drumred -

It sounds as if your seller is engaging in a practice that existed even before the internet, where they allow the funds to sit for just a little while.  There are scenarios in which this useful, and there are those in which it becomes a detriment to business.  Each merchant has to decide on their own whether or not to utilize this practice and how it fits into their business model.

Ultimately, since you're paying for physical goods (make sure you're  not sending it as a personal payment and mark it as goods), you should have coverage via Purchase Protection.  Check out this page for more information.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.