Seller insists on holding item until 21 day clearance expires

mdlpuk
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an Item from a seller and paid by PayPal on Monday this is the message I received yesterday :-

21 days to wait before I can post the *****...........PayPal are holding your payment??? this is really annoying me as I want to send this out straight away as there is no guarantee that PayPal could recall a payment if you can see things from my perspective.....

He knows the rules as we had the same issue in January. What should I do ? The payments been made and if I wait he could renege on the deal after 21 days when he has by money.

Advice appreciated 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mdlpuk

He sounds like a new seller and the fact paypal are holding the funds is between Paypal and the seller and NOTHING to do with you.

The sooner he sends your item trackable the sooner the funds are released.

If you can say if it was Ebay or not I can give you the link to send him.

However if he won't send then open a dispute for non receipt of item and if he keeps doing this then he won't be selling much longer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mdlpuk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is an ebay sale, He is a new seller with only a 15 tally.  Doesn't seem to realize this is for my protection PayPal are just holding my money which has left my bank account !!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mdlpuk

Send him the link below, and tell him that if you raise a dispute his hold for every future transaction will go on way longer.

Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.
https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?query=1746

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mdlpuk
Contributor
Contributor

I accept that, but he knew of the rule before selling. I had a similar issue with the same seller in January, once bitten twice shy. The point is I have lost confidence in the deal and will have very little comeback if he fails to honour the transaction after 21 days.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mdlpuk

Well personally i would not wait 21 days. I would be filing non receipt of item dispute to get my funds back again after 2 weeks and then leave neg feedback on the sellers ebay to warn other buyers.  

However you still have 'comeback' after 21 days. Even if he has transfered the funds into his bank account you can still open a dispute for non receipt of item, if he can't prove trackable proof of delivery of the item to you then you would win the dispute. If he refused to refund you then you would be refunded by paypal under paypals buyer protection. Then paypal would put his account into negative and limit it until he pays them back again.

The 21 days hold is not for your protection (you are covered anyway), its to reduce risk for paypal in having to pay you back if a new seller defaults and refuses a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Magie-Financiè
Contributor
Contributor

I do not agree with the seller's actions, however I do sympathize with them. I am sure once eBay or PayPal educate them on their obligations under the contract they entered with the buyer, I am sure things will move along nicely.

Perhaps they should reduce the statutory hold from 21 to 10 days, and we'll see more co-operative sellers. Realistically, no item sent within the UK takes 21 days to arrive and it certainly doesn't take a buyer more than 24 hours after it arrives at their address to inspect the item for satisfaction. Some types of delivery do not offer tracking numbers, which means some sellers must wait almost the full time scale.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.