Permissions for mobile app

me2again
New Community Member

I was about to download the app, which appears to be a great idea.  But, then I read the permissions and saw a whole list of stuff that have nothing to do with me paying my account balance or an eBay account.  My question is: Why does PayPal need access to all this information?  And how are they going to use it

And I decided against  installing the app.

But I would like to know the answerSmiley Mad

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

RikW
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.

I use the older version and that was fine.

Why does this require so many permisssions 

Paypal seem to be keeping tight lipped on this subject.

It is not acceptable to require all these permissions without good explanation.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi me2again & RikW,

Welcome to our Community Forum Smiley Happy

We're happy to answer any concerns you have about the permissions required for our mobile app.

Was there any permissions in particular that are concering you?

Conor

Login to Me Too

RikW
Contributor
Contributor
I think most of them need some explanation:

I have highlighted the ones most concerned about

Version 5.7.1 can access:
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
Identity
  • find accounts on the device
  • add or remove accounts
Contacts / Calendar
  • read your contacts
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
SMS
  • send SMS messages
Photos / Media / Files
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
  • test access to protected storage
Camera / Microphone
  • take pictures and videos
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
Other
  • full licence to interact across users
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • full network access
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • create accounts and set passwords
  • use accounts on the device
  • read Google service configuration
Login to Me Too

Wife21Mom23

Pay Pal's silence is deafening. 

I've just asked again.  I really hope they'll either provide an acceptable explaination or remove the intrusive permissions so that EVERYONE can take advantage of their App.  (It's more likely that they'll simply leave the permissions as they are - because the masses will "Accept" them without question - and continue to mine our data like many other companies not worthy of our trust.)   😞

Login to Me Too

Wife21Mom23

I too thought the Pay Pal App sounded like a great idea until I saw the intrusive permissions.  Since PP is requesting/requiring the information, please simply disclose WHY each are needed and HOW the inform will be used.   Seems easy enough.

Please provide an explaination for ALL of the permissions.  I've always trusted Pay Pal above all other entities but these permission requests are causing me to feel that PP has become suspect as well!  (YIKES!)  Again, I respectfully request an  explaination for ALL permissions but, in particular, why on earth would PP need the following:

• Device and app history
  • Photos / Media / Files
  • Camera / Microphone

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dian

Hi Wife21Mom23,

Thanks for posting here. I am sorry that we did not reply to this post earlier I understand your concerns and I would like to provide a bit more information.

So PayPal would indeed need access to certain files in order for the App to fully function. This does not mean that we will go into any documents that we don't need. For example we would need access to your photos and location if you want to use the PayPal check in option. This means that you can use the PayPal app to pay in stores and restaurant locally. In order to do this you would need to add a photo to your PayPal App and we need to know on which location you are so that we can inform you about sellers that accept PayPal in your area. Some sellers also have coupons if you use the PayPal check in option and we can only inform you about this if you are nearby one of those sellers.

The picture that you need to set up your account can be either already on your phone but if you don't have that we would need access to the camera so that you can make a picture at that moment that you can use.

We would need access to phone numbers in order for you to send money through the PayPal app to one of your friends. You can now send money through the PayPal app if you have the phone number :). So to make that all work we would need access to that.

Some functions such as camera and microphone are linked to each other so in order to have access to one part we would need an agreement for both. But as I said we will not look into any personal files that you don’t use for PayPal or save any of that information in our system.

I hope this information helps.

Dian

Login to Me Too

ARCE12
New Community Member

Dian, I may be in the wrong conversation, as it seems these users are asking as consumers...which I've not tried to use the app as a consumer.  I have however just tried to install the PayPal Here app as a business owner so that I might attach a credit card reader in order to accept payments, and I have the same questions as the consumer...why does PayPal need my contacts, or my camera & mic, and why does PayPal need access to so many pieces of my phone?  I get the location (sort of), and my phone's identity info for purposes of associating with my bank...but all the others - I'd like to know why?  I can't think of any reasonable explanation as to why PayPal needs to see my photos or text messages or my phone call log.  Can someone please explain this to me as it applies to the business owner using the app "PayPal Here"?  I would greatly appreciate it!

On a side note, I can understand:::

1.  that it's as it has always been since it's conception and we just haven't changed it, but it is 2017, and I know for a fact that PayPal has made many, many changes to keep up with the times so it appears that this one item has been overlooked more than once while performing updates and that makes me the customer, consumer or business owner, feel like my privacy is not important to PayPal.  If this is a correct assumption, then I don't want to do business with PayPal because I can't give any privacy to my own customers.

and I can understand::: 2.  PayPal thinks that saying "we promise not to access stuff we don't need" is an acceptable answer in hopes the customer will believe you and drop the issue...

But my "understanding" and my "accepting" are two different things, and the more I read all of these requests that are getting vague answers, I am getting a little upset and respectfully, request a clear and concise answer to our concerns...and to take it one step more...I'd like an action plan from PayPal outlining their plans to change this current policy/procedure that will allow the user to continue use of the app without PayPal having carte-blanche access to our personal property.

OK, it wasn't really a side note...just a different way to ask I guess, sorry about that, I tend to ramble.  Either way, what can we do to ensure our requests are being heard at a level capable of resolving the issue?  All info/direction will be greatly appreciated!

Login to Me Too

GeoffreyB54
New Community Member

I agree 100% with you on this. Your commentary sums up the problem very succinctly. I have just received my PayPay Here and installed the app and am horrified by the five consents that come up. I feel I am caught between a rock and a hard place. And your point about client confidentiality is well made though I guess it has always been there if one continues to use Paypal as a payment method. Howveer that is the perspectiove of me as consumer, not as retailer where different laws apply.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.