Opt out of eCheques

Mike101
New Community Member
I just discovered eCheques the hard way. After making what I thought was an instant payment and waiting for my item to arrive, it turns out the payment has been sent as an eCheque and taking a week to clear! To add insult only the seller can cancel the eCheque. I'd rather Paypal just told me my card details had expired so I could update at the time, and make an instant transfer! Now I've wasted a week, and been in a dispute with the seller! They've cancelled my order but not the eCheque! It's a mess! How do I opt out of eCheques?! I don't see any value in them and never want to use them. The point of Paypal for me is instant payment, it's a week to clear its easier to get to a physical shop in less time as I will have to now do today!
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can't opt out of echeques.

Paypal only take the risk of crediting your seller in advance and then waiting for your payment to process if and only if you have a back up funding source on paypal eg debit or credit card.

If that back up card is out of date then they will wait for your payment to clear to paypal first rather than credit your seller and so it becomes an "echeque".

Its your responsibillity to make sure the card is valid but normally you do get a reminder email to say its about to expire, not sure why you did not get that.

As for your seller if it was an ebay transaction they are not allowed to refuse any paypal payment and an echeque is a paypal payment so if they refused report them to ebay....also they pay less fees on an echeque so they are daft to refuse to accept it. I would be leaving that seller appropriate feedback to reflect their breaking ebay rules.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

quick_brown_fox
New Community Member

Sorry to bring this up again...

But can an online retailer (not eBay) refuse to accept PayPal eCheques as a payment method?

I'm about to be running an automated system so I only really want those who have paid instantly to purchase from me. Way too much administrative work to follow eCheques and hold stock for the customer when doing so.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes i believe you can.

Its against ebay rules but if you are not selling on ebay then you can do so for paypal payments.

There is an option on one of the tabs in your paypal account but sorry can't remember which.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.