Not using my payPal balance to pay for something?

duke46
Contributor
Contributor

I leave money in PayPal for my own use and to buy things off eBay 99% of the time. Its my mad money and wife can't spend it. HAHA!

Now this happens a lot with me because I have friends that want to buy something of for me to bid for them and they deal in cash only. I buy they pay I take their money to the bank. But if I have a paypal bal of $100 and the item is $100 then I use paypal then you take my money. If it would let me choice to pay through my bank only or charge card or whatever then my $100 would still be in your account. But it looks like it want work that way? Why can't I make the choice on how to pay for an item without you automatically taking the $100 out of my balance all the time?

I would think if you operate any way like a bank then you would/could earn interest on what people have in their accounts but maybe you don't operate that way?

For me to get my $100 back into your account I have to do a bank transfer and that takes more time than it should to do it for some reason? So I have to wait till it is there to use it when I need to. Then the wife might get to it first!

Do I need two accounts with you maybe so I have better control?

Login to Me Too
76 REPLIES 76

Headegg
Contributor
Contributor

Same here: There is plenty of money in my account to pay for (UK!) ordered goods but Paypal uses my bank account,.  I have raised this issue with Paypal before to no avail. Other than phoning at prohibitive rates there is no way to contact Paypal except to ask a very limited number of pre-formulated questions (which never fit the issue at stake). Ever heard of the term 'Customer Service'?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dian

Hi Headegg,

Thank you for posting here. 

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with our service. 

To answer your question you would have to contact our customer support so that they can look into the account and see why the balance is not used. We have a toll free number as well and you can also send u a private message on Facebook or contact us on twitter. 

I hope that you will contact our customer service team so that they can help you to resolve this. 

Dian

Login to Me Too

Headegg
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou Paypal for advising me that there is a toll-free customer service number to ring. It would be good to know what this number is since I have not discovered it anywhere. (UK subscriber)

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Firstly if you are signed up to "pay after delivery" that is the one time that they will take from your bank account rather than your funds in your paypal balance.

Secondly its easy to find the toll free number just go to the words "contact us" at the bottom of every paypal page.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

oblio80
Contributor
Contributor

There is no logical reason PayPal insists on using bank acount first for PayAfterDelivery even if the users PayPal balance is sufficient to cover the purchase and the user prefers to use the balance.

Any idea why PayPal prefers to perform a ACH transction instead of allowing the balance to be used?  I have read many times that "We always use your PayPal balance first.", but clearly there is some devious reason for treating PAD transactions differently.

Maybe PayPal is getting kickbacks from the bank for all of the NSF charges generated by this sneaky approach?

Login to Me Too

Corncol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I've just tried paying for an item on ebay ( £2.90 ) and i'm getting a request to add a card when it always uses Paypal funds first or takes money from my bank account.

Is this request for a card because i have a negative balance ? ( an item i sold  is on it's way to a buyer in America and a case has been opened )

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Normally paypal like you to have a back up card linked to your paypal account before you can fund purchases via bank transfer or funds in your paypal balance.

They may allow you to make a few purchases before you have to add one but if you have a neg balance then they will certainly want a card attached to reduce risk to them of a payment failing.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Denton
Contributor
Contributor

I've just set up a donation fund and I'd like to leave those donation amounts intact.

However, if I need to purchase something online using PayPal, this will eat into the fund.

Is there a way to do a bank transfer/debit card payment and bypass the PayPal balance?

Or at least some way of keeping the donations 'locked' and untouchable?

Thanks for any info!

Login to Me Too

Missterious
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, my last 2 transaction have been via Paypal and I have not changed any settings but it is not using my Paypal balance. I have money within my Paypal account but it is opting to use my bank account?

Any reason for this? It has changed for the last 2 transactions?

Email example:

We just wanted to remind you that we'll be contacting your bank to collect the payment soon for the purchase you made on 29 Jul 2013. (This is 2 weeks ago)

Why is it choosing to do this all of a sudden? The type is pay after delivery 😕

I am trying to deplete my Paypal balance. Not my bank balance.

Perhaps it is just easier for me to withdraw it, if it going to do this? Thanks

Login to Me Too

duke46
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like something has changed at least for you? I bought something the other day and it took it from my balance.

Did by chance did you see the oppition to use your bank or your balance or did you maybe look right over that because it has always worked that way?

I had forgot I had a balance and just hit the pay now. Might be something I just need to try I guess or they might come in a respond that they have made a change?

That would be nice if they have.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.