Not using my payPal balance to pay for something?

duke46
Contributor
Contributor

I leave money in PayPal for my own use and to buy things off eBay 99% of the time. Its my mad money and wife can't spend it. HAHA!

Now this happens a lot with me because I have friends that want to buy something of for me to bid for them and they deal in cash only. I buy they pay I take their money to the bank. But if I have a paypal bal of $100 and the item is $100 then I use paypal then you take my money. If it would let me choice to pay through my bank only or charge card or whatever then my $100 would still be in your account. But it looks like it want work that way? Why can't I make the choice on how to pay for an item without you automatically taking the $100 out of my balance all the time?

I would think if you operate any way like a bank then you would/could earn interest on what people have in their accounts but maybe you don't operate that way?

For me to get my $100 back into your account I have to do a bank transfer and that takes more time than it should to do it for some reason? So I have to wait till it is there to use it when I need to. Then the wife might get to it first!

Do I need two accounts with you maybe so I have better control?

Login to Me Too
76 REPLIES 76

arbenlezi

I'we been trying this and not working. I also see that my settoings say "We will use balance first " and again it is using my card and no other option while paying.

This means that i always must pay to get money to my accoun in paypal, and then again pay to get that money to my bank

Login to Me Too

timtak
Contributor
Contributor

I do not see anyway to turn off the use of my balance.

I have to pay a conference fee which is a business expense.
I don't want to use my balance which is personal funds.

I wish it were possible to choose where the funds come from.

TT

Login to Me Too

oblio80
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with your concern.  I had a PayPal balance that was suffient to cover a purchase, and instead they debited my bank account which was quite low at the time and I got NSF charges.

I have repeatedly asked PayPal to explain the logic of why the balance can't be used for PayAfterDelivery, and the only answer I got was 'that's how it works'.  I challenged and suggested they consider changing it to at least allow the balance to be the primary funding source.........deaf ears.

The thing is, PayPal hides this detail in the mouse print.....yes it's there, but I didn't find it until after the NSF charges.  Much more prominately PayPal repeatedly says "We always use your PayPal balance first".   Words like "ALWAYS" have meaning, and cannot be redefined in mouseprint.

Could be the basis of a Class Action Lawsuit in the US.  Anybody else want to join?  I have a good friend who is a class action attorney and I think he has some spare time.  😉

Login to Me Too

Cristexas
Contributor
Contributor
In less than a week PayPal accidentally they claim overdrafted my bank account to the tune of $418. 11 transactions that should've been paid for by my PayPal balance were put through my checking account which didn't have any money in it hardly. I am very interested in a Class Action suit. It's what I was googling to see if there was One already out there.
Login to Me Too

Cristexas
Contributor
Contributor
I have and eBay store. Thank God it wasn't the first of the month or I would not have been able to pay rent.
Login to Me Too

McEachin
Contributor
Contributor

I have used Paypal for a number of years ... I have a 'nice' balance in my paypal account derived from selling on eBay; however now the last few times I made purchases from vendors the money is deducted from my personal, private checking account - Why?   many thanks for your help and response.   

Kind regards, mia 

Login to Me Too

MD4
New Community Member

This is Ridiculous!! any changes on the horizon? Is there a way to automatically remove the balance from your account so you don't have to check it everyday to make sre there isn't funds sitting there?

Login to Me Too

McEachin
Contributor
Contributor

I suppose the only thing I can do is transfer monies accumulated from selling items on ebay that go directly into my Paypal account is to transfer that $ into my checking account - I very much 'liked' having a few pesos in another account tho'   things were simpler a decade or more ago - however guess there are people they 'hire to do something' so they just shift and change things around so it appears they are doing 'something'  lol    - it sure makes it harder on us tho'  thanks for responding

Login to Me Too

SeaKingMike

I had a balance of £11 & bought something for £20. The whole amount was taken from my bank account.  The account settings show that the balance will be used first but this didnt happen & the balance of £11 is still sitting there.

Login to Me Too

ceej90
New Community Member

i waould like to pay for item using my bank account not my paypal balance. My paypal account is used for storing money i have made from sales as a way of saving up. If i want to buy somthing i will do it from my bank account. How can i stop paypal taking money from my paypal balance. You have explained the hierarachy but not how to actuly manage your payment methods

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.