Newish Account, Instant Transfer

superhobo666
Contributor
Contributor

Okay here's the deal.

I don't have a credit card (and do NOT want the Debt associated with one.)

I have my bank account linked to my verified paypal account.

I'm looking to bid on a laptop on Ebay.

I am canadian.

the seller is Canadian

99.6% feedback rating

The laptop would be too expencive for me to use a Visa gift card as a backup payment option.

What do I need to know about instant transfer? Will it work? (I have never used it before, all of my purchases where made from my paypal balance) I do not have enough funds in my paypal balance.

The seller must recieve paypal payment within 5 days of the purchase.

they can't eait for e-checks.

Is there a limit on Instant Transfer ammounts?

I've also noticed other users complaining about problems with instant transfers, and I'm a bit worried. any info is strongly apreciated.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

superhobo666 -

Welcome to the Community!

Unless this is one of those listing where it's specifically listed by eBay as immediate payment required, submitting an eCheque will count as payment within 5 days.  As the seller is a fellow Canadian, I'm sure they will be more than accepting of your use of eCheque if you want to proceed without Instant Transfer.  I would shoot them a quick message before moving forward; it never hurts!

If you do decide to go forward with setting up your account for an Instant Transfer, you would need to add a credit card at some point.  I know that's not an option you're fond of at this point - and I really do applaud your responsibility and refusal to take on debt - but you might also consider adding the money into your PayPal balance in advance via the Add Money feature.  This would allow you to make an instant payment rather than waiting on the eCheque to clear over to the seller.

Thanks,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

superhobo666
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Adrian thank you for the response, they did accept E-checks, I messaged them about it. though I missed out on the item because the bids went higher than the item was worth to me, but that's okay,

I do thank you for the response, and this does give me useful information. I'm glad it counts as "prompt" payment, and seems like it would move faster then a bank to PP transfer.

woult a visa gift card count for a credit card? (Reloadable one, of course)

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@superhobo666 wrote:

Hey Adrian thank you for the response, they did accept E-checks, I messaged them about it. though I missed out on the item because the bids went higher than the item was worth to me, but that's okay,

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that.  I know I've been outbid before, but it's always a sweet success to win an auction!  Next time around, right?

As for a gift card, some prepaid cards won't work with PayPal (but they do count as an instant form of payment, and could be paired with a bank to allow for Instant Transfer).  You may experience greater success if the card is tied into your billing address. 

Even if they do, and the payment is later refunded, we're required to send it back to the card - which can be a problem for you if you have since destroyed the card. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

cityofgraphics
New Community Member

If you go to your local CIBC your can get a secured credit card through them. It works 99% of the time.  Occassionally for some reason instant transfers are not available from your bank account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.