My son got charged £1 for an order even though it failed

DianeH

Well my son had exactly the amount of money on his debit card for a purchase that he wanted too buy, so when he chose to pay through paypal using a debit card a £1 charge was taken out and he could no longer afford the product and the order failed, but the £1 has not been returned.. can somebody help get his £1 back?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_paula

Hi DianeH, 

Welcome to the PayPal community forum.

It sounds like your son may have initiated to link and confirm the card. The charge is £1.00GBP and is credited to the PayPal balance once the code is entered in correctly. If your son enters the code then he would have £1.00GBP on the PayPal balance and should be able to then pay for the item. 

I hope this helps and explain it for you. 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Yahoodi

As you have some knowledge on this please tell me when my £2 will be refunded to my own bank account.   Thank you

Login to Me Too

Yahoodi

I have made two purchases today and each time been charged the £1.  I asked for it back by doing an unauthorised case.  The case has been closed tonight as adjudicator says it was not a rightful claim.  So where is my £2.  One person told me that banks do this to ensure the account is active, so why dont they deduct the £1 from the full amount once they know it is open. 

I have never been on paypal but this has disappointed me today and now I have to watch a bank account to see if I get my money back. 

the earlier answer you got was not correct as I did not initiate anything I just bought thinking Paypal was safe, no one told me they would take money without my authority.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Once you have added a funding source ie card then paypal has to confirm you are the owner and the card is valid.

So once added >>>

When you click ‘Save and Continue’, you authorise PayPal to charge your card, but don’t worry, you'll be refunded later. Your card will be charged £1 exactly and we'll also send you a unique, randomly generated four digit PayPal code.
After two to three days, you should be able to see the PayPal charge on your online card statement. If you don't have online statements you'd need to wait for your next paper statement. You will find the four-digit PayPal code, next to or near the £1 charge on your statement. In the item description, the code will be printed next to the word 'PAYPAL'.
Once you have the details from your statement, you can then confirm your card as follows:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. In the ‘To Do List’ box, click Confirm my debit or credit card.
  3. Enter your PayPal code.
  4. Click Submit.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.