Keeps asking for credit card to complete purchase

salamanderwolf
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to buy something off ebay (which i've done loads of times before with no problem) and have plenty in my paypal account to cover it.

But I go to checkout and it keeps trying to get me to add a credit card. It won't let me just pay. I have no wish to add a credit card and I refuse to do so.  I did some googling and see this is a problem that keeps occuring with paypal. Have they got an official work around yet or am I going to just have to wait until they fix it?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@salamanderwolf

If you are using funds in your paypal account balance then paypal expect you to have a back up card linked to your paypal account as well to verify yourself.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

salamanderwolf
Contributor
Contributor

I have already verified my identity with them and I brought something quite recently without this problem.  So when did this "new" rule come in?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@salamanderwolf

Its not new, that has been the general rule since i joined paypal over a decade ago.

If you only have funds in your paypal balance and do not have any back up card then they don't let you do so until you have added one.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

salamanderwolf
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry but that simply is not true.

I have never been asked for a credit card before and I've used paypal for the past four years to pay for stuff. I have been verified, have my bank account attached and have ample funds to cover payment.

here's a thread from two years ago with similar problems. https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Buying/Keeps-asking-for-credit-card-to-complete-purchase/t...

this is an ongoing bug.

Also what payment system set up on the idea that it allows you to pay for stuff online if you don't have a credit card....then asks for a credit card?

I simply do not have access to a credit card and if this cannot be resoved then I see no other recourse but to transfer all my funds into my bank account, end my paypal account and join the legions who think the service is a little...customer unfriendly.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@salamanderwolf

OK so as far as i can see you did not mention you had a bank account attached thats why i gave you the answer that you have to have a card if you only have funds in your balance.

Normally its fine if you have a bank account BUT on some sites eg virtual items they like you to have a card as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

salamanderwolf
Contributor
Contributor

No problem.

This isn't a virtual item either. It's just a run of the mill purchase of ebay of some trinkets for various people. Of every instance of this problem I've found on google, the problem seems to have gone away within a week or so. I just wondered if anyone had found a work around becouse it is more than a little frustrating.

Either way thanks for trying to help.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@salamanderwolf

OK this thread may be useful to you as there was a reply posted by a paypal moderator.

This person has a bank account linked but the mod was still saying they may need a card as well.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Adding-and-withdrawing-money/Pending-bank-transfer-to-paypal-acc...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.