Keep getting Error code #10417(We were not able to process your payment)

awesomechairs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to pay for a Buy It Now item on eBay, and keep getting an error saying "We were not able to process your payment." (Error code #10417). There are no errors on my Paypal page, and there is money on my debit card.

My last payment via paypal was in January 2011, and that went through fine. Nothing has changed with regards to my eBay account or my bank account.

From what I gather from Googling the problem, it's something to do with Paypal's security model saying that it doesn't like the look of the transaction. However, the eBay seller I'm trying to pay has 100% feedback, and is a verified seller, so I don't think it could be a problem on their end.

Again, there are no errors on my Paypal page, my card is verified, my eBay username and password has been added to my Paypal account, and there is enough money on my card.

Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
135 REPLIES 135

tomoleeds
New Community Member

i cant buy anything with pay pal whats going on,!  about time pay pal got fired

Login to Me Too

Synyster

I'm now having the same problem, it's not just ebay, I tried it on another website. However, it wont even let me pay as a guest!

I have the funds, and I have an up to date card, I'm not just going to forget about it and move on, I've clicked "commit to buy" because I actually want to buy but Paypal wont let me.

Need help.

Login to Me Too

trixyhell

I've been having the same problem this morning.  I paid as a paypal guest and it went through fine.  I'm wondering if it might be the fact that logged into paypal, the transaction was going through in USD, but as a paypal guest it was converted to GBP.

Login to Me Too

mudinthelane
Contributor
Contributor

I have just been reading all these posts.  I too am Paypal frustrated.  I am getting the same error message and code.

I am at least consoled that it is not just me that is having this problem.  However I am puzzled that there doesn't seem to be a reason offered by Paypal for this.  I feel that if any of my customers ever had a problem then I would do my best to suggest an answer and offer support unitl the problem was sorted.  Meanwhile the top rated buyer I am trying to purchase from is going to get impatient.  Come on Paypal!  Help us out here!

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

paultgreen
Contributor
Contributor

I've just recieved the same error number, as always, it's on an urgent transaction that I need the parts pronto.. Just before throwing the laptop at the wall, I decided to try again, and it randomly went through - god knows what they're playing at.

Login to Me Too

granseven
Contributor
Contributor

I have had this problem at least 3 times - the ridiculous answers on here from PayPal are a joke! In my case, it most definately is a problem when the payments are given in US$ - £ payments are fine. It has happened again today. However, what really puzzles me is that if the item is priced in another currency, but then appears in the payment section as converted to £, there is no problem - so why aren't all payments converted to sterling, or why don't PayPal own up to their ineptitude?? PLEASE don't post another another answer, PayPal, blaming your customers bank/card/payment history - TELL US THE TRUTH! Oh, and if you don't want us as customers, just carry on the way are doing.....

Login to Me Too

granseven
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, update on my previous comment - just contacted e Bay, they tell me there IS a problem - it's really NOT us, folks! Have asked them to also look into why we are being told it must be us ( PayPal_Paula response, July 15th, and others) See here for the substance of my LiveChat with e Bay:

6887eileen (7/26/2011 05:38:01 PM)
no thankyou, just an explanation for this, and an answer to how i can pay. i did contact paypal before about this, and they eventually agreed that the non-conversion of the currency in the paymeny section was an issue, but i was never told how it would be resolved.

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:39:19 PM)
Please give me a moment while I look into this for you.

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:42:15 PM)
Thank you for waiting.

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:42:36 PM)
Elieen, it seems there is an issue on the site.

6887eileen (7/26/2011 05:42:43 PM)
no problem!

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:42:52 PM)
I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing to you.

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:43:26 PM)
However, in the meantime what you can do is contact the seller and ask them to send an ivoice via PayPal and you can pay directly via PayPal.

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:43:50 PM)
Also, ask the seller to send you an invoice in "Pound" currency.

6887eileen (7/26/2011 05:45:19 PM)
oh really? i could, but to be honest it isn't their problem. other transactions hav previously gone through without difficulty, so there clearly is a problem. do you know how and when it will be rectified?

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:46:52 PM)
Eileen, I will be forwarding this issue to our technical team. However, we will not be able to provide you the exact time frame wherein the issue will be resolved.

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:47:44 PM)
I understand it is not the seller's mistake. But till the issue you resolved you can ask the seller to send an invoice so the transaction can go through.

6887eileen (7/26/2011 05:48:49 PM)
ok, well, it's a start! also, please ask someone to look into paypal's response to this, which is to tell it's customers its all our fault for having no money in the account/a faulty card/payment issues! thankyou for your assistance in this, i hope it's rectified soon.

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:50:28 PM)
You are welcome.

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:50:41 PM)
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

6887eileen (7/26/2011 05:51:01 PM)
no thankyou, thanks again!

Hillary Sanders (7/26/2011 05:51:29 PM)
Thank you for contacting Live Help. Have a great evening.

System message (7/26/2011 05:51:45 PM)
The chat session is being wrapped up.

System message (7/26/2011 05:52:03 PM)
All times in the above transcript are in the following time zone: (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

System message (7/26/2011 05:52:03 PM)
The chat session has ended.

Mybe if others did the same, PayPal would have to give us a proper answer!!

Login to Me Too

LTN
Contributor
Contributor

Am also having same problem. No financial issues (its not a currency issue either). I've had no notifiction that they were going to refuse to process the payments, which I find a little odd-why not tell me if there is an issue? Has anybody else being informed before they commited to purchase something? Sent an email about this 5 days ago but they did not even have the decency to reply. Phoned customer services but the person I spoke was of no help whatsoever. Come on paypal why not give us an answer?

Login to Me Too

granseven
Contributor
Contributor

Just spoke to PayPal customer service - there IS a problem, yet to be identified, concerning currency conversion. If your "Purchases" page shows the item in USD and £sterling, then when you go to "Payments" its only in USD, that's when the problem arises. Might not be the same for everyone, but it's the problem for me. I have asked them to look at all these posts in this thread, and others, hope it's sorted soon!

Login to Me Too

bearsfan092
Contributor
Contributor

Now I've got the same problem.  I've made sure I've got enough funds and all.  Get this sorted out Paypal.  This is the first time I've used the service and it royally messes up.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.