Keep getting Error code #10417(We were not able to process your payment)

awesomechairs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to pay for a Buy It Now item on eBay, and keep getting an error saying "We were not able to process your payment." (Error code #10417). There are no errors on my Paypal page, and there is money on my debit card.

My last payment via paypal was in January 2011, and that went through fine. Nothing has changed with regards to my eBay account or my bank account.

From what I gather from Googling the problem, it's something to do with Paypal's security model saying that it doesn't like the look of the transaction. However, the eBay seller I'm trying to pay has 100% feedback, and is a verified seller, so I don't think it could be a problem on their end.

Again, there are no errors on my Paypal page, my card is verified, my eBay username and password has been added to my Paypal account, and there is enough money on my card.

Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
135 REPLIES 135

awesomechairs
Contributor
Contributor

Bearing in mind that the solution posted worked for me. It may not work for anyone else.

Also bear in mind that Paypal is not a bank. Therefore it is not subject to the same laws for handling money as various banks are. They can do what they want with your money, as they are designated as a Money Service.

if you feel that Paypal is getting a little too useless for you, I'd recommend googling for "paypal alternatives for ebay". It throws up a few alternatives, the suitability of which I'll leave you to decide.

Login to Me Too

markypie
Contributor
Contributor

Tried again today nearly a week after initial problems & no luck again !.I only bought from the seller in May.Strange thing is I've no trouble making Ebay purchases at least with UK based sellers so far (Not tried a US one yet)

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Guys,

There is currently no known issues with processing PayPal payments at this time however there are a number of reasons why an error may be received when processing a payment.

The main error that would be received is if a card issuer is denying a payment. You will generally receive the following error message "your payment can not be completed at this time" or you may receive "your card can not be used for this transaction please choose or add an alternative card" .

Your payment may also be denied by our internal security system. If this is the case you will  receive an error message "your payment can not be processed at this time please try again at a later stage".

I understand that receiving error messages or payments not completing can be frustrating and if any of you would like specific account information please contact us directly via the contact us link at the bottom of every PayPal page.

Thanks

Paula

Login to Me Too

markypie
Contributor
Contributor

"your card can not be used for this transaction please choose or add an alternative card" .That's the message I get when I try to order off US based sites.If it's a card issue then why is it fine for payments to UK based Ebay sellers,Amazon UK & Play..Com ?.Surely the card should not work with those payments too if that's the problem.I ordered 4 things off Amazon UK TODAY & once again no problem.Soon as I use a US site & try to order using Paypal I get the message above even sites I've used as recently as May. It's odd so many people are having problems at the same time surely ?.Once again I have sufficient funds & my card is verified so I can't see why I'm having difficulty.It has to be PP related if Amazon & Play.Com are accepting payments from my card surely ?.

Login to Me Too

BrendaLouise

Seems this is not an unusual problem with Paypal.  I have had the same problem over the last couple of days for what it seems no apparent reason.  The bank have confirmed there is no problem so it must be Paypal's end.  Get it sorted.  In the meantime I will probably contact the seller direct and sort something out.  Cannot do with all this hassle.

Login to Me Too

septemberblueuk
Contributor
Contributor

(We were not able to process your payment.)

I've been having problems too and not just with eBay but with other websites too.

I have enough funds and my card is upto date.

Help!!!!

Login to Me Too

septemberblueuk
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal aren't a bank?? Well they sure like to charge like one!!!

Login to Me Too

markypie
Contributor
Contributor

Went to the bank today & no problem with my card.To add insult to injury after trying to order from PLANET AXEL again yesterday with no luck,I chose the sites 'Pay as a Paypal guest' option & it worked first time proving my card is not at fault !.Unfortunately I have not come across other sites with option.

Login to Me Too

markypie
Contributor
Contributor

So I can use the only debit card I own (MAESTRO) to pay as a Paypal guest but I can't use it for the same US transaction by logging into my own PP account.Go figure !.

Login to Me Too

kymmie
New Community Member

THIS IS REDICULAS!!!!

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM EXCEPT IV COMMITTED TO BUY ABOUT 11 DIFFERENT ITEMS FROM DIFFERENT PEAPLE AND PAYPAL WILL NOT LET ME PAY THEM !!!!!!

I'M GETTING HATE MAIL OFF THE SELLERS AND REALLY BAD FEEDBACK IV CONTACTED CUSTOMER SERVICES AND GOT NO REPLY AND IV EVEN TRIED PAYING FOR THE ITEMS ONE BY ONE !! IT AINT MY BANK !! IT AINT MY MONEY!!! IT AINT MY DETAILS!! SO WOT THE HELLS GOING ON?????????????????????????????

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.