Keep getting Error code #10417(We were not able to process your payment)

awesomechairs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to pay for a Buy It Now item on eBay, and keep getting an error saying "We were not able to process your payment." (Error code #10417). There are no errors on my Paypal page, and there is money on my debit card.

My last payment via paypal was in January 2011, and that went through fine. Nothing has changed with regards to my eBay account or my bank account.

From what I gather from Googling the problem, it's something to do with Paypal's security model saying that it doesn't like the look of the transaction. However, the eBay seller I'm trying to pay has 100% feedback, and is a verified seller, so I don't think it could be a problem on their end.

Again, there are no errors on my Paypal page, my card is verified, my eBay username and password has been added to my Paypal account, and there is enough money on my card.

Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

awesomechairs
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out the error was because I had cashed some cheques the day before, and while they showed up in my account, they hadn't "gone through" completely, so my bank was denying the payment. Still, all sorted 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
135 REPLIES 135

MichaeLori
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PayPal has no obligation to transfer your money to where you want it to go.

Sorry Smiley Surprised

It is a private company, not a bank.

I suggest you forget about this transaction and move on.

Most probably you will feel better then.

Hope this helps

Login to Me Too

awesomechairs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you suggesting Paypal are transferring my transaction elsewhere? Surely as their purpose is to make buying/selling things online safer, that whole practice would harm their reputation. Or perhaps they hope no-one will find out?

I can't really "forget" about this transaction, as I'll most likely get negative feedback, and as someone with few "feedbacks" to his eBay name, I can't really afford that.

Login to Me Too

MichaeLori
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

What is mean is PayPal can refuse to move your money to where you want it to go (so you keep your money for yourself in most cases) without disclosing the reason.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Well this is a fairly generic error code, you'll get this message if we try and charge a card on your account and we get declined by the card company.

In regards our actual security system, yes it can stop payments alright but often it can be worked out why using common sense (such as because you are logging in from a different country or it's a very big payment). We don't disclose how our security system works to the general public because that would encourage people to try and find ways around it.

Login to Me Too
Solved

awesomechairs
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out the error was because I had cashed some cheques the day before, and while they showed up in my account, they hadn't "gone through" completely, so my bank was denying the payment. Still, all sorted 🙂

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Glad you got it sorted awesomechairs Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

rymomcflymo
New Community Member

i cant buy anything from ebay as paypal keeps blocking it with the error message. iv got money to pay for items and all my details are correct. i have tried this with two items now and the same message is reoccurring. 

can someone help its driving me mad

Login to Me Too

barbarabland
New Community Member

mines doing it now.. ive literally just been the bank and put the money in myself now and im still getting that message when i try and pay.. if i cant pay for this ill get bad feedback, in all seriousness though paypal doesnt give a crap.. gotta be a better company for ebay to use because through my experiences paypal is utter crap. it can be good but the majority of the time crap,

Login to Me Too

awesomechairs
Contributor
Contributor

If you've only just put money in, you'll probably need to give it a couple of days before it goes through. The system will say you have money, but your cash/cheques won't've been sorted and confirmed yet. Or something like that, I think.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.