Instant Transfer problem?

Jolkster
Contributor
Contributor

I know there are a lot of boards on problems with instant transfer, but I couldn't seem to find the answer I was looking for, so:

I play on a certain gaming site, where you can spend real money at get bonus items, etc.

PayPal usually lets me use instant transfer to make these transactions, but sometimes it won't.
I'm wondering why at certain times I can use it, but at other times it decides it's unsafe, even though I've purchased from them before, quite a few times.

It gets rather annoying when it won't let me purchase something I would like now, but have to use an echeck or drive down to pick up a mastercard, which usually comes to more than the card itself.  (Eg. $50 Mastercard comes to $55.68)
Whereas if I was able to use my instant transfer I wouldn't have to pay the extra.

Is there a way to fix this?
Such as contacting PayPal and asking them to allow this certain site?
Or another way?

Thank you in advance!

Login to Me Too
107 REPLIES 107

papabear59

Wow!  I've had the same problem appear all of a sudden.  Instant Transfer option disabled.  I have talked to customer service and read the explanation provided as a response...something is still definitely wrong.  My credit card is not expiring in the next 30-45 days, I do have a credit verified, as well as multiple bank accounts, and I have never had a failed transaction or problem of any other kind with transactions on PayPal.  I have a verified merchant account with no limits and out of the blue, I can't do an Instant Transfer.  The alternatives of eCheck and credit card are unacceptable as they come with  higher costs and/or longer wait times for funding.  This is obviously something new based on the posts I am seeing here. 

Whomever made the change to the PayPal security model needs to take a good look at  the change.  Increased security is not supposed to translate to increased hassles and frustration for customers in good standing.  As other have indicated, the PayPal help desk people were no help at all.  Not only could they not tell me the specific reasons for the security block, but they are unable to override the block and allow the transaction.  This is not a good business model.  Credit companies conduct security checks and will even call customers if a transaction appears questionable to verify the transaction.  Once the customer verifies the transaction, it goes through.  The supervisor at customer service told me they can't do that because doing so would also clear other customer's transactions at the same time.  Ridiculous!!  Who ever heard of a financial system that binds unrelated customer accounts/transactions together like that? 

If PayPal wants to play in the financial world, acting like a bank and credit provider, they need to be able to "act" like a bank and credit provider.  Binding customer transactions together in such a way that an individual transaction is no longer autonomous is a bad thing in the financial world.  Either the supervisor didn't know what they were talking about or PayPal needs to take a good look at their financial software and make it work correctly.

This should never have happened and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Login to Me Too

Phayzed
Contributor
Contributor

I too am Canadian and I cannot access my intant tranfer option, its only giving me the option of credit card in which i do not want to use, I preffer to use my bank accounts, and it looks like right I cannot use them. when will this be solved and how long will does one have to wait to access the  instant tranfer bank accounts...

Login to Me Too

wildmedic
Contributor
Contributor

This whole thing is stupid.   If PayPal wants to continue to have customers, this "problem" should be corrected.  You can't tell me suddenly everyone is a security risk in their computer system.  This is spreading like wildfire.... everyday more and more people are asking WTF!

This will be the end of PayPal if it continues... as there are other services out there.  And if PayPal becomes too unreasonable and too difficult to use (as it has), then both vendors and customers will seek other payment options.

Why would I use PayPal for a major vendor purchase?  to save credit card transaction fees, of course.   I have unlimited transactions through 2 of my bank accounts that are attached to PayPal.  Now I can't do Instant Transfer... and if I have to result to using my credit card..why would I use PayPal?

Login to Me Too

CookieCanucki
Contributor
Contributor

Another Canadian here. 

Have been on Paypal & eBay since 2001 using my Instant Transfer since then with not a problem.  My credit card is always up to date as far as expiration dates, 100% feedback on eBay & Paypal tells me I am a trusted customer.

I did do some selling last month, used my Paypal card to withdraw cash to pay for postage and personal.  I go into Paypal to pay for a 40$ auction last week..well now my Instant Transfer button is not available anymore, even though last yr same time did mega sales and withdrew off the card ..hmmm no flag then & I yet am a trusted account holder roflmbo.

Calling Paypal is useless, same old story "Ummm we have no idea, must be your CC etc". 5 calls to customer service and a supervisor have done nothing, but get me hotter under my collar!!

Paypal's dynamic statistical models seem to target & discriminate Canadians as per the multitude of responses on this thread, on FB & other websites. I have many American friends who are having no problems, biz as usual.

To quote Paypal_ Frank: "Canadians do not typically receive bank cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo"  To quote  Deweyoxberg: "It's mighty convenient timing that all these issues started up when the Canadian dollar hit parity with the US dollar (started to notice problems in June 2011)" 

Think that says it all doesn't it?

Calling my MP on Monday and go from there.

Best of luck to all the other Canucki's on here.

Ohh and all Canadians should hit Community Chat every Wednesday from 4-5 PM CDT  in the Watercooler

Login to Me Too

rhansen
New Community Member

Me too.  Having the same problem- no problem before....

@CookieCanucki wrote:

Another Canadian here. 

Have been on Paypal & eBay since 2001 using my Instant Transfer since then with not a problem.  My credit card is always up to date as far as expiration dates, 100% feedback on eBay & Paypal tells me I am a trusted customer.

I did do some selling last month, used my Paypal card to withdraw cash to pay for postage and personal.  I go into Paypal to pay for a 40$ auction last week..well now my Instant Transfer button is not available anymore, even though last yr same time did mega sales and withdrew off the card ..hmmm no flag then & I yet am a trusted account holder roflmbo.

Calling Paypal is useless, same old story "Ummm we have no idea, must be your CC etc". 5 calls to customer service and a supervisor have done nothing, but get me hotter under my collar!!

Paypal's dynamic statistical models seem to target & discriminate Canadians as per the multitude of responses on this thread, on FB & other websites. I have many American friends who are having no problems, biz as usual.

To quote Paypal_ Frank: "Canadians do not typically receive bank cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo"  To quote  Deweyoxberg: "It's mighty convenient timing that all these issues started up when the Canadian dollar hit parity with the US dollar (started to notice problems in June 2011)" 

Think that says it all doesn't it?

Calling my MP on Monday and go from there.

Best of luck to all the other Canucki's on here.

Ohh and all Canadians should hit Community Chat every Wednesday from 4-5 PM CDT  in the Watercooler

Login to Me Too

zeekthegeek
Contributor
Contributor

Just ran into this old problem again after about 6 months of being able to use it just fine to buy games via Steam, suddenly today I go to make a purchase and the option I had been using consistently is not available. I think it's fair to say if a real bank treated its customers this way, they would no longer have any of said customers.

Login to Me Too

Tazzy
Contributor
Contributor

When I read that Canadians don't have CC logo's on their debit cards I just about fell out of my chair laughing. I know I know we also live in igloos and use sled dogs for transportation. We are also using the tin can method to be able to post in this thread as we don't have internet service like the US. How ignorant is that?

We are just as progressive a country as the United States. Except when the predominantly US companies arbitrarily decide we are not.  

Login to Me Too

Drb00
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issues with paypal I'm unable to purchase anything online.

I've tried to purchase on steam... I get an error saying

"Your purchase has not been completed. The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method."

I've tried to purchase RP on league of legends and I get the same problem. I get through the paypal payment screen and bam it says error transaction cannot be completed.

This is really frustrating and If they don't do something to fix this garbage I'm going to have to find another way to pay for stuff online.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to hear that more Canadian banks are issuing debit cards that are compatible with PayPal. 🙂  Using one of these cards is the best way to make a PayPal payment from your bank account when the Instant Transfer from bank option is not available.

I do know that Canadian banks issue debit cards with Visa and MasterCard logos but I also know that not all of them do.  This is why it isn't always an option for a customer to add their bank card to PayPal to avoid the eCheque time frame.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Canadian banks issue Interac cards more often than issuing Visa or MasterCard branded debit cards.  I'd be happy to learn that most of our Canadian customers have the option to use their bank cards with PayPal. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Deweyoxberg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Frank,

Generally speaking, all debit cards issued in Canada are not linked to a major credit card (Visa/Mastercard). They are traditionally tied to a bank account (usually checking only) with various options depending on the insitution.

Cards issued with a major credit backing are usually issued by the credit institution itself, linking back to a customer's personal banking account (and not the other way around). The client would have the option to pay with credit card or by debit, but has to specify this at the time of purchase.

As for use with PayPal's systems (and as we've discussed before), it's hit or miss to have one's bank account as the primary funding source. From personal experience any NSF's or bounced attempts will cause havoc, including using prepaid gift cards from Mastercard/Visa as the back up funding source. Of equal frustration, any changes to backup fundung sources can adversely affect pre-arranged subscriptions, as I've come to experience in the last 48 hours.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.