How much to put in my account to start with?

gillofgib
New Community Member

Hi I'm about to set up paypayl acct using my bank account and would like to know how much I have to put into my acct.  I see it is a direct debit, does this mean money will be taken even if I don,t buy anything for instance on ebay, and is money taken on a month basis?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you are a buyer then you NEVER need to add funds to your paypal account.

When you buy paypal will deduct the payment from any funding source you have attached to your paypal account ie bank account or a card.

HOWEVER if you only have a bank account with the direct debit set up then you will need to add a back up card as well for the payment to be credited to the seller instantly. This is because paypal credit the seller in advance and then take the payments from your bank account but they only do that if you have a back up card added as well.

If you ONLY have a debit or c.c. registered and have not linked your bank account / set up direct debit then thats fine and your payment will be credited instantly.

Finally the direct debit does not mean paypal take amounts regularly. All it means is that when YOU AUTHORISE paypal to take a payment from your bank account to pay a seller they can do so as the direct debit means your bank will let them do that.

Apart from when you buy an item the direct debit does not get used for anything else.

If you look in your direct debits in your online bank account it will just show the amount of the last payment you made to a seller via paypal. IT does not mean that amount is going out monthly.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.