How can I change the currency preference that I pay for items via Paypal.

Busted37
New Community Member

I recently bought some items from China that were listed in US Dollars, when I checked my bank statement I'd been charged £1.25 per item for a currency converter fee.  As the items were only £1.50 each I effectively paid double.  Can anyone help please.

Login to Me Too
85 REPLIES 85

LuigiDiMario

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Yuriz
Contributor
Contributor

Even this button to manual change conversion option every time now not work for me:(

Screenshot_20161227-142325.png

Login to Me Too

loveesim
Contributor
Contributor

Happend to me too, this is unaceptable. If you ask me for such scheme some should go to jail !

For 2 days now I m trying to pay in sellers curency (eur) and that page doesnt work (how convenient)exchange1.jpg

Login to Me Too

Itamar
Contributor
Contributor

Yep - Same here.

I have checked in the PayPal prefrences and my card is set to:

image.png

But still during checkout PayPal will convert my money.

I have tried to unlink my PayPal acocunt from ebay - still it will recognise my account and try to charge me with converted money.

Since PayPal is having "problems" in the conversion system I do 2 things:

1. Use AliExpress

2. Select to pay using my credit card number (which is the whole reason why PalPal exists) and then eBay will charge me using the currency that I want but it will tell me at the bottom:

"A PayPal service. You don't need a PayPal account."  - I guess this is some kind of a joke.

Still I tell them to save my card and now I'm using ebay to charge my PayPal account with no conversion.

This is a new kind of idiocy.

Login to Me Too

alex1114
New Community Member

If Paypal is going to force me to use them to convert the currency then i will avoid using Paypal and use the direct pay by credit card service.

have a credit card that has no conversion fees so why would I pay Paypal to convert it.. I would be losing money that way.

I was able to control it before but now that setting is gone? or am i missing something

Login to Me Too

miekeo
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed paypal started converting currency for me also, started beginning of november 2016.

I have always used my cc for conversion, so i checked my mail archive and last time paypal converted for me was once in 2012 and 2009.

Now suddenly they have started to silently convert some purchases. I did check 

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding  and cc is still set correctly.

Now i have used a currency converter to find correct rates for the dates and have overpaid on all those transactions.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.