Gumtree and PayPal - is it safe? (I'm a buyer)

730G
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

After so many failed biddings on eBay I've given up and have decided to look on Gumtree for an item I've been trying to buy (this item usually spans from £600-£700 second-hand) and have found one for £520 from what seems like a genuine seller.

Problem is they are 300 miles away. I was thinking of emailing them asking if they'd take a payment via Goods and Services on PayPal. Is this safe to do? Do people do it often? Can I count on PayPal if I don't receive the product? I know Gumtree is typically for face-to-face sales but surely it's not unheard of for people to deliver and take payment via PayPal.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@730G

I doubt the seller would agree as they would have to pay a large fee to accept that paypal payment.

Also they would lose ALL seller protection if the item was collected or personally delivered.

As for your buyer protection, you need to go and read up on buyer protection in the user agreement.

Then you can risk assess your transactions as buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.