Failed to Authorise Payment - Sports Direct

youi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

So i tried to purchase many items from a website called sportsdirect. At the start of january, id buy with no problem but now when i try to buy it always gets cancelled as "failed to authorise payment". At first i thought it was a problem wtih the sports direct website but my friend bought something a few days ago and his order is not getting cancelled at all. He too paid with paypal. Here are some of my theories as to why my payments dont go through.

- I reached my transaction limit for the month?
- My paypal account is frozen.

- Discrepency between my billing address and shipping address in that theyre not the same.

- Perhaps a purchasing limit set down by sports direct.

I bought about 70 items from sports direct in the last 2 months, 35 of which the payments went through fine. Not sure whats happening but any help is more than appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Conor

Hi youi,

Welcome to our Community.

When you have authorised a payment to a merchant, you have agreed to make a purchase for a specified amount. 

With a basic authorisation, your payment will show as 'Pending' in your PayPal account until the merchant captures it. A capture is when funds move from your PayPal account to a merchant's PayPal account. After the capture the transaction will show as 'Complete' in your account and you will be notified in an email from PayPal that your payment is captured.

If those authorisations are showing as 'cancelled' or 'failed', it means the merchant has been unable to capture your payment for whatever reason. This could be simply down to the fact that they no longer have the stock you want though.

Have you tried reaching out to Sportdirect  to get a better understand of why they are failing to capture your payments?

Conor 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.