Error message at ebay checkout

BubblesUK
Contributor
Contributor

This payment cannot be completed and your account has not been charged. Please contact your merchant for more information.

Return to merchant and try a different payment method

We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the merchant's website and try using a different payment method (if available).

I have tried to pay for items purchsed on ebay using my paypal account but everytime I get the above message I have £68.00 in my paypal balance and money on in the accounts linked to paypal so not sure what the problem is

Login to Me Too
189 REPLIES 189

chelseachadwick
Contributor
Contributor

hi, is anyone able to help me regarding the error message at checkout? 

Login to Me Too

paolope
Contributor
Contributor

in my case was a paypal mistake, some rule in their system was rejecting my payment attempt. After removing the rule i was able to complete the payment.

Login to Me Too

Zorblat
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, your payment was declined by your card issuer. Please use a different credit card or bank account to complete your PayPal Payment.

I've had this error message showing up for 6 days now and I would very much like to know why...During this time I have used my card multiple times in shops online and offline without the slightest problem. There is no lack of funds and no need for credit at all - I only use it as a bank card. The only place that can't process this simple Mastercard is Paypal. No deleting cookies, restarting, changing browser etc works at all. I haven't changed any details since I last used it before christmas and the credit card issuer doesn't care what I buy or from where I buy it. I just used the card earlier today - without Paypal -  and it worked jusssst fine, thanks. 

Is it driving me nuts? You bet. Still nothing compared to what the seller must be feeling by now I'm sure...

It looks like I'll be doing my shopping somewhere other than ebay from now on. Luckily cat tree sellers have their own shops too. And no need for paypal there... 😕

Login to Me Too

silverXlibra
New Community Member

I see this thread goes back to 2012 and nothing has been done about it! I just started having the same problem as everyone else here. Even tried checking out using the Ebay mobile app, and still no luck. I buy off ebay all the time, and the last successful purchase was made 6 days ago (since then I haven't tried buying anything till yesterday, when it all started). It just doesn't allow me to check out and gives me the error message! I have over $140 in my Paypal balance - no hold on the account, no limits, everything looks just fine. I was able to send a donation of $3 yesterday, no problem there. What on earth is going on and is there a solution?

Login to Me Too

Zorblat
Contributor
Contributor

On Saturday my top up finally arrived so I could pay the seller after nearly a week.

Yesterday I decided to try to buy a cat tree from a german store, outside of ebay, despite having to use Paypal...and the payment went through just fine. I have no idea if it's the ebay connection that's messing it up or if it's the location of the seller as I've had experience in the past of being able to pay european sellers but not american sellers using the same card. This has been going on for many years no matter what card I've used. I guess it's just not worth the bother for Paypal fix it - as long as it's only a certain % of people that can't pay they still make enough money from the rest. You'd think Ebay would be more eager to get it sorted as they will be losing business but maybe it's the same thing with them... 😕

Login to Me Too

mgibo1
Contributor
Contributor

I have had this problem for the last 2 days.  Customer services says it is the security system protecting me.  I started getting this problem when I updated all my computers to Windows 8.  Maybe the security system is still suck in XP mode?  Instead of blankly declining payment, why don't you get a phone call with a code to enter?  If the security system isn't going to let me make payments because, "Computer says, no," there's not much point to having a paypal account.

Login to Me Too

lemoncakeuk
New Community Member

Same here been having this for a week - spoken to Ebay chat FOUR times about not being able to pay - they suggest asking for paypal invoices - NOT convenient and not always answered by seller!

This needs FIXING!!!

Login to Me Too

mattdp
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I have money in my PayPal account but I am unable to pay for a product which I desperately need. This is really bad in terms of customer satisfaction as I have a business account. Anyway, I am waiting some kind of feedback from Customer Service. If nothing shows up I am gonna close the account. This thing happened to my personal account also and I can definitly say that their system is c**p.

Login to Me Too

emmanuelqvz
Contributor
Contributor

The solution is upgrade your paypal account to premium.

Login to Me Too

I tried using the Ebay mobile app and received a similar error when clicking Buy Now. However, the error was slightly different.

"Elivs registration verification requires redirect (7004)"

But basically, it still wouldn't allow me to purchase via Paypal.

When I googled the error text, I came up with this page:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/Elivs-registration-verification-requires-redirect-7004/t...

Which seems to be someone saying that the problem can be corrected if a credit card is added at Ebay. Here's where you'd add the CC:

https://arbd.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SetupCCPayment&v2redirectpage=955

If this is correct, the error is Ebay's, not paypal's.

One wonders if, after the recent big hack of Ebay's website, thousands of people didn't delete their credit card info, and this is ebay's way of dealing with the problem... Getting users to add back credit cards.. Find it hard to believe they'd break payment via Paypal payments if no CC is on file, but who knows???.... I've never had a credit card on file w/ Ebay, and haven't had a problem until now.

I didn't try the fix. I didn't add a credit card. Not willing to trust Ebay with my CC.

I'm contacting seller to arrange another way to pay.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.