Ebay & Prepaid Visa

untouchable
New Community Member

I'm trying to buy an item off ebay, I bought a 50$ prepaid visa card to purchase this item but when I went to purchase the item it told me it couldn't process it.............can I not use a prepaid visa card on paypal?! THe item i'm trying to purchase is only 20$ so there should be more than enough money in my paypal account to buy it since the prepaid visa card i bought is 50$. HELP!!!!!!

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

joshwaynebrison -

Welcome to the Community!

My response to Kevlar, above, has the information you're looking for.

Sincerely,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

BenMoss
New Community Member

I have a "Secured Mastercard". Do the same rules apply to a secured  card as a pre-paid card?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

BenMoss -

Excellent question!  Most credit cards that require prepayment fail the security measures PayPal has in place.  This is because we verify the billing address, among other items, with the card issuer.  Since most pre-paid cards don't have this information attached to them, they understandably can't be verified and (even if added to the account) tend to fail when making a payment.  I would recommend checking with your card issuer to see if they maintain a billing address on file and if they allow merchants to verify that information automatically.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

TylerDC -

At this time, if a card is used to fund a transaction, it can't be split between cards - although it will wipe out any existing PayPal balances you have in the same currency as the payment, first. You may consider attempting to consolidate the cards outside of PayPal if you have that option.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

TylerDC
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply but I wouldn't know where to do that.

Login to Me Too

Vro0om

Alright so let me get this straight. My visa prepaid wont work for buying items on ebay? because i just won an item that i want, but it wont let me buy it, but the prepaid cards on my paypal, and its taking $1 off each time, and im wondering how i get that money back? please respond and tell me if theres any other options in this situation!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Vro0m -

Your prepaid card may work for purchases on eBay, if it can pass the security process to add the card to your account.  If your card issuer can associate a billing address with the card, you're more likely to succeed.  If they don't, it will likely fail.  In regards to the $1 authorizations (they aren't permanent charges), my response to Kevlar, above, has the information you're looking for.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Eshan
Contributor
Contributor

When I ad my prepaid credit card do I have to give all my bank information?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Eshan -

No; when adding a card, you would need to provide the information for your card, not your bank.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.