Ebay & Prepaid Visa

untouchable
New Community Member

I'm trying to buy an item off ebay, I bought a 50$ prepaid visa card to purchase this item but when I went to purchase the item it told me it couldn't process it.............can I not use a prepaid visa card on paypal?! THe item i'm trying to purchase is only 20$ so there should be more than enough money in my paypal account to buy it since the prepaid visa card i bought is 50$. HELP!!!!!!

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

At this time, we don't recommend adding pre-paid debit or credit cards, as they seldom pass our stringent security measures. Even if they do, and the payment is later refunded, we're required to send it back to the card - which can be a problem for you if you have since discarded the card.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

TylerDC
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I have multiple types of pre-paid credit cards given to me as gifts, ranging in price and type but all created for online use. So far I've had success using them on PayPal but what I was wondering is if it's possible to join these cards to buy an item of greater value than just one card? Ex: Case 60$, two seperate cards of 35$ and 50$.

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

kevlar
New Community Member

I am new to this but just discovered the same problem,

I get your answer but it funny how you can seem to take trasaction fees but not process the card.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

kevlar -

It sounds as if you're seeing a $1 charge on the card, correct?

Any time credit or debit card information is entered, altered, edited, or changed in PayPal, that information has to be verified with the card issuer in order for the change to take place. The credit card industry has a pre-approved method for merchants to verify this information - the $1.00 temporary charge (often known as a pre-authorization).

These charges are not permanent, and will never become permanent, though they are absolutely necessary to confirm card information. This is done to ensure the safety and security of every member who uses our services.

The $1.00 charge is released back to your card balance after a period of time determined by the card issuer themselves, not by PayPal.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Trevorgaga
New Community Member

ok

so

i bought a reloadable visa, i had put 150 dollars on it.Now, i had purchased some items for a website and everything worked out, my card was deducted the correct amount of money. Then i went shopping on ebay, i bought 6 items, in total i should have had roughly 20 dollars left on my card, but when i go into my prepaid card account it says that i still have like 88 dollars left and i have 6 charges for 1 dollar each on my prepaid card transactions on the prepaid card website...when will the actual prices of the items be deducted off of my prepaid card? Also i have no money on my paypal account. Quite frankly i am a little annoyed at this, im worried that the ebay people im buying from arent getting my payments! So some answers need to be heard here!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Trevorgaga -

Welcome to the Community!

When you add a card or bank to PayPal, PayPal doesn't know the balance that you have on it (and honestly, it's information we don't need to know), so your balance on your card or bank doesn't reflect in PayPal.  Cards and banks wouldn't share this information with us in any event.  So, when you submit a payment, we just request that amount.  It's up to the bank or card to approve the transfer.

In regards to your purchases, check your PayPal account.  Do you see the purchase there?  Is the status completed?  If it is, your merchants have been paid.  As for how long it may take your card issuer to reflect these on your statement, that amount of time is determined solely by them.  I would speculate that they should update within a few business days, but ultimately, you'll want to give them a ring to find out how and when they deduct it out of your balance.

Take care,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Stormie
New Community Member

I have a few prepaid Visa Gift cards that I have used to purchase things online.  My question is this -  can I transfer the remaining balances to my Paypal account to use at some future date?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Stormie -

Welcome to the Community!

At this time, PayPal does not offer the ability to add funds into a PayPal account via a card.  However, you may be able to register those cards to make a purchase. Keep in mind, however, the information above about adding prepaid cards and refunds.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

joshwaynebrison
New Community Member

i have a prepaid visa i try to buy something online it declines me and brings my balence down by 1 $ each time i try to buy something it sayd paypals taken 1 $ but mean while nothing was bougth ? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.