E cheque

roweland
Contributor
Contributor

Good evening people.

I purchased something off ebay today and noticed paypal had issued an e-cheque to the seller. Why??? i have never had this before. Theres money in my bank account and usually paypal takes it straight from there.

Anyway the cheque takes an age to clear and i needed the item by this weekend, so i asked the seller to cancel the transaction, which they did. I then assumed the cheque would be cancelled, but it hasnt. it says it going to be cleared on the 14th. Paypal said i need to cancel the e cheque by ringing my bank, which i did and they said basically they couldnt see the paypal e-cheque request. (maybe to early)

Whats going to happen now? is the seller still going to be issued with my e cheque and i will get nothing? Also i used 3000 nectar points worth of vouchers towards this purchase and ive been told i wont get the back. £17.50 gone!!

Not very happy!!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roweland

An echeque is sent IF you don't have a back up card linked to your paypal account OR that card has expired and needs updating.

It can also be applied if the type of item you are buying is high risk etc.

Also once you pay a payment funded from your bank account and then its cancelled then those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to your paypal account but as the payment was cancelled then it would be credited to your paypal balance.

You can then withdraw the funds to your bank account again or leave it in your balance to be used for any future buying transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

roweland
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply. I am not really sure what you mean about a back up card. My barclays debit card is linked to my paypal account, which has got adequate funds and expires next year, that is the only bank card i own. I have made over 880 ebay transactions over the years and this has never happened before. I purchased another item around the same price just before i brought this item and it all went through fine, i then purchased a lesser value item after i purchased this and that went through fine also. The item in question is a battery powered lantern and it was purchased from a business seller.

I assume i dont need to do anything now and that the e cheque will not go to the seller as the order was cancelled? I just loose my £17.50 worth of nectar points.

Regards

Michael

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roweland

No the funds should be credited to your paypal balance as the echeque was cancelled.

No idea about your Nectar points you would have to ask paypal that question via customer services.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

roweland
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing has been credited back to my account as yet. As it stands the cheque is still going to be processed on the 14th. Both ebay and barclays say paypal are at fault. The cheque should have been cancelled as soon as the order was cancelled, better still NOT issued at all. They have now cost me £17.50 in nectar points. I shall ring up during the day to see if i can speak to someone who doesnt seem as confused as me !

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roweland

As i said once you have clicked submit to pay then the procedure has already been started at the bank and the money set for processing on the date stated.

So you have to wait until it clears through to paypal 5-7 business days and then its credited back to your paypal balance.

But as to WHY they did an echeque only they can say so why not contact customer services and ask them?

Let us know how you get on?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.