Crediting a negative balance

Bexcellent
New Community Member
I recently paid for a few eBay items all at once and have now got a negative balance on my PayPal account. I just wanted to double check how I rectify this. I have looked on these forums but it doesn't go into much detail about it. When anyone else has asked about this they are told to simply 'pay money into your account to bring the balance back to £0.00 or above'. What confuses me is knowing which account to credit. I don't want to pay money into my Paypal account and then have them take the money out of my bank account too. Basically, what I want clarified is - Will Paypal continue trying to retrieve the funds from my bank account or after they try the first time and fail, do they put your Paypal account into a negative balance and then wait for you to amend this?? I hope this makes sense!
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

TsufakTuna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Bexcellent,

when you make a payment through PayPal, unless you change the funding source at the time of payment PayPal will try to draw funds from your bank account first (unless you have a balance in your paypal account). PayPal will make 2 attempts to withdraw funds from your bank account, once those two attempts fail then they will try to withdraw funds from your back up funding source if you have one such as a credit card.

If you have no balance in your bank account, you may be either charged a Non-Sufficient Funds fee by your bank which can be $40.00 or your bank may offer a 'convenience' allowing you to overdraft your account but you'll be hit with interest charges and overdraft fees.

You claim to have a negative PayPal account balance, does your PayPal's account page actually show a negative number?  If there is truly a negative number balance on your PayPal, you will have to send money to your PayPal account either by funding from your bank account or funding from credit card.

caskia
Contributor
Contributor

i have just paid for an item which included an amount for negative balance to paypal,i then bought another item which has the same negative balance added to it ,i cannot pay for the second item while the negative balance is added,how and when will my accouint reflect the payment of negative balance payment.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you clicked on " add funds" and selected the slower option to transfer the funds then it takes 5-7 days.

The other option you have now you have started the transfer if you don't want to wait is phone customer services and they can clear it for you over the phone via a card.

Then the transferring money will be credited to your paypal balance and you can spend it on items or withdraw it back to your bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ScreaMHSKING
Contributor
Contributor

I know how my friend is negative but like i want to know how come my friend can have a negative balance and buy things without money. But say i dont have any money it just doesn't let me pay for anything so how is it possible for a negative balance? Do you need to apply for it or something?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.