Can I purchase something on Ebay with a $0 Paypal balance but a linked bank account?

BretMichaels
Contributor
Contributor

If my Paypal balance is currently $0, and my bank account is linked to my Paypal, can i purchase something on Ebay through Paypal? Since the funds would not be in my Paypal, i am hoping that since my bank account is linked, that Paypal would simply take the funds from my bank account to pay the Seller.

My next question is, if this does in fact work this way, does the Seller receive the money right away (the same way they would if the funds were available in my Paypal), or does the 5-10 business day rule mean the Seller has to wait that long to obtain the funds? I am hoping that Ebay sees the funds are in my bank account, removes the funds, pays the Seller right away, and the money that is sitting in limbo for 5-10 business days would simply go to Paypal when it gets put into my account. I've looked these questions up online but i'm not getting any definitive answers. Hoping someone here knows! Thanks!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi BretMichaels

If u are linked and verified ppal will make an instant payment for you then collect the payment from your linked bank acc

They usually take the funds from your ppal acc first 

If there are no funds in your ppal acc they will take the payment from your back up source that is linked

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

NO IT WON'T BE INSTANT if you only have your bank account linked. 

You need a backup debit or credit card linked to your PayPal account so that PayPal will make instant payments for you. 

This is because they credit the seller in advance and then wait for your funds to transfer from your bank account. 

They only do this if you have a back up card linked as well to reduce risk to them of your bank transfer failing. 

Hope you haven't paid before reading this and ended up with an echeck which takes days to clear. 

Hope you actually have back up cards attached so you are okay. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BretMichaels
Contributor
Contributor

I did get a reply from Paypal on Facebook today.  I messaged them on there before i created this thread.  Anyways, if anyone else is interested, here is their reply:

Paypal:  That's a good question. Yes, you can make a purchase from your bank account with a zero balance in your PayPal account. If a card is attached to the PayPal account as a back up funding source we will send it as an instant transfer.

The seller gets paid right away with an instant transfer, even though it takes time for the money to travel from your bank account. If no card is attached to the PayPal account the bank payment will be sent as an e-check and the seller will have to wait 5-8 days in Canada to receive the funds.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Which is what I said,  add a card and it will be instant,  if not it will go as an echeck and take a while to clear through to the seller. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.