Can I pegister pre-paid credit card as my credit card ?

Louisa0725
New Community Member

I recieved a $100 American Express Gift Card and I was wondering if I can use it on paypal ... However when I was trying to register the card Paypal saids there's an error ... Can I pegister pre-paid credit card as my credit card ?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DexLuther
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried too with a visa and the short answer is it doesn't appear to be possible. Even iTunes doesn't accept them, which makes me wonder what the heck the point of these cards are if they are refused everywhere.

Login to Me Too

jethro5cc
New Community Member

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

At this time, we don't recommend adding pre-paid debit or credit cards, as they seldom pass our stringent security measures. Even if they do, and the payment is later refunded, we're required to send it back to the card - which can be a problem for you if you have since discarded the card.

In terms of adding funds, at this time, you cannot use a card to add funds to the balance. However, if you can successfully register the card, you don't need to add funds first.

Just make a payment, and we'll debit the card directly.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

jethro5cc
New Community Member

I wasnt able to add the card without first going to the credit card company website and adding my postal code, then it was possible to add on paypal.

Login to Me Too

Usagi1992

In order to use a pre-paid credit card online, you need to register it first. This can be done online, or over the phone. There should be a number and/or website on the package it came in and on the card. (for VIsa this website and number are at the top above the bar code, but I don't know about American express).

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.