Buying from eBay

08hankii
Contributor
Contributor

I have £0.00 balance in my PayPal account as I have withdrawn all of it to put into my bank account and have no new money coming into the PayPal account anytime soon, therefore my bank account does has avaliale money in it.

Is it possible to buy an item off  eBay using your PayPal account which doesn't have any money in it? And if so, will it take money from my bank account or take money from my PayPal account when more comes in in the future?

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No you never need funds in your paypal account to buy items as paypal will take direct from your funding source attached to your paypal account.

1. If you have cleared funds in your paypal account balance then paypal will use those, but if they are still processing then they can't be used. Also to use them you need a back up credit card linked to your paypal account as well.

2. If you have only a bank account linked then you "normally" won't be able to use it unless you have a back up credit card linked to paypal as well.

Sometimes however paypal will let you use the bank account without a back up card but the payment will go as an echeque and take a few days to clear through to the seller.

3. If you pay via a debit / credit card (or bank account with a card as back up) then paypal will credit your seller instantly for you and then paypal will take the wait for your funds to transfer from your funding source. This is to enable you to get your item more quickly.

Finally if you have cleared funds in your paypal balance in the same currency as the seller then they will be used first.

If there are no cleared funds then paypal will take from any bank account if you have one linked BUT you can swap to a card instead of a bank account by clicking on "other funding sources" DURING the payment process to select a card on a transaction by transaction basis.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No you never need funds in your paypal account to buy items as paypal will take direct from your funding source attached to your paypal account.

1. If you have cleared funds in your paypal account balance then paypal will use those, but if they are still processing then they can't be used. Also to use them you need a back up credit card linked to your paypal account as well.

2. If you have only a bank account linked then you "normally" won't be able to use it unless you have a back up credit card linked to paypal as well.

Sometimes however paypal will let you use the bank account without a back up card but the payment will go as an echeque and take a few days to clear through to the seller.

3. If you pay via a debit / credit card (or bank account with a card as back up) then paypal will credit your seller instantly for you and then paypal will take the wait for your funds to transfer from your funding source. This is to enable you to get your item more quickly.

Finally if you have cleared funds in your paypal balance in the same currency as the seller then they will be used first.

If there are no cleared funds then paypal will take from any bank account if you have one linked BUT you can swap to a card instead of a bank account by clicking on "other funding sources" DURING the payment process to select a card on a transaction by transaction basis.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.