Buyer Protection

matt66uk
Contributor
Contributor

Be careful with the buyer protection and what you are buying and where from. 

I bought an item off ebay for £308.00 it turned out to be faulty. contacted Paypal who confirmed I could have a refund. On the condition I returned the item. and I use a tracking system. This would have cost me £80.00 to return the item. The seller new that the item was not suitable and not as described. 

I do not have £80.00 to send the item back so paypal have said tuff you can not have a refund. So i have not been protected at all.

If i had the money to post the item back I would have been £80.00 out of pocket. There for whichever way I went i would be out of pocket. So no protection offered for me at all.

On top of that the seller agreed I could send the item back on the following conditions and they would agree the refund, that I lie on the customs declaration and state the value of the item is 50 usd. If i was to do that firstly its fraud, secondly if i did and the item was lost I would only get compensation up to the value of 50 usd therfore being about £280.00 out of pocket. Paypal were not interested in this and feel its acceptable behaviour from the seller.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@matt66uk

Was it from China by any chance?  Only >>>

We get more posts about "items received but not as described" on this board from items purchased in China than anywhere else.

And Chinese sellers know that to return it would be more costly than the item so they get away with selling shoddy goods !!!

Paypal can only ever get you back monies processed through them and that is your original payment for item + shipping to get the item to you.

They also can get you that refund on return of the item to the seller.

So if you buy from a registered business in this country then if the seller sells misdescribed goods and refuses return postage costs (unlikely) then you have the small claims court to back you up.

BUT if you choose to buy from a private seller OR internationally then you don't get that protection, so you need to bear in mind what paypal can offer you and then risk assess your transactions before purchase.

BUT did you fund your paypal payment via a credit card? If so then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

matt66uk
Contributor
Contributor
I get where your coming from however paypal should allow for this. They should make the seller arrange for collection of the item. I used a debit card so no comeback there. Paypal have the facility to makr the seller pay for the return of the item but they do not make them. They can insist the seller arranges collection of the item. I have always used paypal but this is the last straw with me. When i messaged them on facebook they refused to respond , when i posted what happened on the page they deleted the posts and blocked me. Childish behaviour.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@matt66uk

Some banks have been known to chargeback on a debit card as a "goodwill gesture", no harm in asking.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.