Activated debit card cannot be added to paypal account

yamax87
Contributor
Contributor

I received a new Visa debit card from my bank last week which works fine for all normal online/offline transactions.

However, I cannot add it to my Paypal account.

Every time I enter the card details under My Account, I get the message "check your card details and try again". 

Does anyone know what may be causing this? Is it worth approaching my bank?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yamax87

What type of card is it?

Is it a UK card being attached to a UK paypal account?

Is it a card paypal accept?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

yamax87
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass, thanks for the reply.

It is a Visa Debit card.

It is also a UK card attached to a UK bank account.

As far as I am aware, Paypal accept this type of card.

In fact, I had a very similar card until recently which I regularly used with paypal. I then fell victim to a phishing scam and had to order a replacement card from my bank. The replacement card is very similar to my old card, so I don't understand why Paypal won't appear to accept it...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yamax87

Did the scam cause that card to be used on paypal for unauthorised transactions or did you have a failed transfer from it?

Did you actually remove the card from your account?

Can you not update it if you did not with the new expiry date and number instead of adding it?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

yamax87
Contributor
Contributor

No, the old card was not used for any unauthorised transactions as far as I am aware.

I only 'fell victim' to the scam insofar as I entered the bank details on a non-paypal website which was clearly intended to resemble the official paypal site as much as possible. I was able to change all crucial information (cancel the card etc) before any money was taken.

I have now removed the old card from my paypal and bank account, and destroyed it. 

Unfortunately, this means that updating the card details is not an option-I did not know you could do this.

Thanks for the assistance so far. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yamax87

All i can suggest then is contacting customer services and ask them to link the card manually for you.

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary page and use the phone option (if there is one in the country you are in) > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent or say the word "agent".

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

Yes bank of scotland card

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.