Accidentally used wrong card to pay with : /

lilrosy189
New Community Member

Hi all im wondering if you could help me?

I made a purchase using paypal yesterday to buy some clothes from a website, the only trouble is i accidentally chose the wrong debit card to pay with, and the account belonging to that card had not enough funds in.

I realised what must have happened when the payment was not received right away by the merchant and it said 'pending' in my paypal transaction history. So i have transfered the funds needed for the payment to that bank account. I also contacted the merchant explaining that i may have used the wrong debit card/ bank account and i am waiting to hear back from them

Does anyone know what will happen now or if i need to do anything, has anyone else made this mistake and could tell me what may happen?

Thanks!

Rosie

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

PayPal_paula

Hi lilrosy189,

If we request the funds from your bank account and the funds are not available you payment will come back as failed. We will then charge your back up funding source that is registered on your PayPal account. This will be a credit or debit card. If the funds are available we will use these funds to complete your payment.

If in the event the funds are not available there either we may take your account in to a negative balance and request that you resolve it.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

darkeclipse8
New Community Member

A paypal representative thank goodness.  I just did the same thing as the main topic poster did.  I've contacted the seller and told them what I did.  How can I tell you or any other paypal representative to cancel a purchase I have made?  Because the credit card that I have isn't there anymore, I've canceled it and reapplied for a new credit card.  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi darkeclipse8, 

If a payment is completed we can not cancel it. The best option for you would be to ask your seller to refund the payment and send it again using the correct card. 

I hope you get it resolved

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Yachtmaster07
New Community Member
I just had hit checkout on Marciano Guess site. It was suppose to be whew and edit card, but my iPad I had the window slightly smaller than usual and it hit complete an order of an obscene amount, since some was for my wish list! Not great late on Saturday, Labor Day weekend! I'm praying someday Paypal has a 5 minute button for after hours to hit cancel a purchase that's pending, so I can sleep tonight since my rent goes through this same time!!! I guess I'll see fait???
Login to Me Too

caitlinmcentyre
New Community Member

I used wrong card meant to use paypal credit is there anyway to change it ?

Login to Me Too

Dejaliyah
New Community Member
This just happened to me. I usually use a credit card to pay for business transactions and for whatever reason paypal had selected my personal debit card. I didnt see it because the account was written in tiny gray font all the way at the bottom, and it overdrafted my account. I am pretty furious because i do not like paying for my business from my personal account and why in the world did it not decline, or why didnt paypal make it very clear which card they were using. Reallt hate paypal it's not enough i have to constantly transfer my balance to my bank because it always wants to use my personal funds to pay for stuff even when I clearly only want to use a credit card.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dejaliyah

Default funding sources are >>

1. Paypal balance.

2. Bank account.

3. Cards.

So if you want to select HOW you pay all you have to do is check during checkout and click change to another card etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mmetalcoma
Contributor
Contributor

not true

Login to Me Too

asim13
New Community Member

This is false! Had the same thing happen to me and they continued to charge the same card, over and over for three days..... now I have a $200 bill of overcharges.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.