Unpaid item case opened almost immediately after auction's end???

JohnnyCyclist
Contributor
Contributor

Verbatim from the message: "eBay opened an unpaid item case for <item> because <seller> either hasn't recorded your payment or didn't receive it yet.The seller needs to receive your payment no later than <7 days after auction end>. If the seller doesn't receive your payment, an unpaid item will be recorded on your account and your account privileges may be limited or suspended."

I was away for the holiday.  I emailed the seller in advance and told them I'd be away for a few days.  They had no problem.

If eBay is going to automatically open cases almost immediately after an auction ends, they're going to lose a lot of business.  I will no longer be able to bid/buy on any holiday weekend, when I'm travelling on business, or when I'm on vacation, even if I make arrangements in advance with the seller.  The lack of trust will also leave a foul taste in many people's mouths.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

JohnnyCyclist
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to mention the <7 days after auction ends> requirement.  A little quick, don't you think?  I usually pay within 24 hours, but sometimes need a few extra days (as mentioned in my original post).  If eBay is going to enforce a 7 day requirement, they're going to have a lot of people (including myself) banned for non-payment, and a bunch of angry sellers sitting on unsold items.

Login to Me Too

novot4
New Community Member

that is definatley quick but as a seller i can tell you there have been plenty of times i had to use this feature...obviously the seller didnt really know of this setting or had so much trouble in the past they set it at the 7days..i have mine at 30days...i figure if after a month you havent paid then i should at least get my fees etc...back...but yeah 7days is too fast, i'll agreeRobot tongue

Login to Me Too

tempesnana
New Community Member

As A seller on ebay I have turned off the option for ebay to open unpaid item cases.  I don't think alot of casual sellers even know ebay does it and you have to opt out as opposed to opting in for this function. 

Login to Me Too

2blkflys

This is more of a tip for sellers...if a buyer contacts you and tells you they need more time you can turn off the unpaid item assistant for that transaction. Under "actions" on your sold items page, click the down button and you will get a menu and one of the options is "turn off unpaid item assistant." I have done this many times...my time limit is 16 days...when buyers have contacted me. I also message buyers who haven't paid in 9 days reminding them that the item hasn't yet been paid for and giving them the option of canceling the transaction...sometimes a buyer isn't paying because they no longer want the item but don't know they can cancel the transaction, so they take the hit against their account.

I agree that 7 days is very restrictive, but it is the seller, not eBay, that determines the time and can control the automatic unpaid item cases being opened. Don't let the seller tell you they had no control! The seller can also close the unpaid item case so that it doesn't count against you if you notify them!

Buyers need to know that sellers have control over unpaid items.

Happy buying!

2blkflys

www.Deals-On-The-Fly.com

Login to Me Too

LookAtMe
Contributor
Contributor

You say it opened right after the auction ended? That has to be a software glitch on eBay's site.

Personally I have unpaid item attendant turned off. However when I have tried to start a claim on the 4th day I am told I have to wait a min of 4 days (down to the minute the auction has ended) before I can open the unpaid item claim.

Yes I work with buyers but if a buyer cannot take a couple minutes to write to me saying they are going out of town or need extra time to pay for the item, I can only assume they don't plan on paying.

Such is life...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.