shipping to different address

dsiegman77
Contributor
Contributor

I sold something online and invoiced the buyer via Paypal. She paid the invoice. I went to the post office and shipped the item to her shipping address that is listed with Paypal. This is the address I have always used for shipping and the address that shows up when I clicked print shipping label. My understanding is that for Seller Protection this is the address I am to ship to. I sent her a photo of the box and the tracking number. She messaged me back a couple hours later and said that was not the correct address and said there should have been another address listed. There was no other address listed for me to see anywhere, only the one I shipped to. She insists I am in the wrong. I contacted USPS to intercept the package before it ends up in the wrong hands but they charged me a large fee to do so. I feel she should be responsible for paying this fee as she is the one who had the incorrect address listed on her Paypal and didn't mention anything about a different address until after I shipped. I'm wondering if I'm being scammed or if this was just an honest mistake? Who is in the wrong here? We agreed for me to refund her once I get the item back and then send her a new invoice and she will be updating her shipping address so that it's correct this time, but still insists it was my fault and isn't agreeable to even splitting the fee with me, which doesn't seem right. So I'm out an additional $35 because of her error. What would you do?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Catballi
Contributor
Contributor
The buyer is in the wrong. Add a new invoice (copy the original and change the shipping address to the correct one) and insert a $35 fee for the shipping address change charged to you by USPS and DO NOT re-ship the item until the full invoice payment has been made. She's in the wrong per PayPal policy as it states that when shipping, you must ship to the address used in the transaction invoice. With that, an invoice can't be made without an email for the buyer meaning they had to see and verify the information before paying the invoice. She would have seen the address for billing and shipping placing all responsibility on her. Also! Do not refund or re-ship this transaction/invoice until the new invoice (where you only "technically" charge the $35 fee and can apply a recorded payment for the item that was sent and had to be re-routed) is paid. As the seller, none of these errors were your fault and should be paid by the buyer. If they file a claim, the conclusion should still be in your favor. If need be, contact Paypal and create an interaction about the situation with the details of the process and the shipping confirmation needed for PayPal to confirm.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.