retainer credit

Keith_S
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone. couple of months ago i took a retainer of  $1,000 from a client to do Private Investigation work. Today we closed the case and their bill is approximately $1,400.00 I need to send them an itemized invoice to reflect total charges, time, mileage etc., But how do i credit them the 1,000 retainer within in that invoice, all of the lines seem to want to add, not deduct?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Keith_S 

Make a line item for "Retainer" at 1000.00

Make another line item for "Services, etc [or whatever you prefer to label it]" at 400.00

Make another line item for "Retainer Paid: [Date] / [Transaction ID]" at -1000.00 (yes, put a minus sign in front)

And what you see owing in the invoice total would be the $400.00

Hope this works.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Keith_S 

Make another line item for "Services, etc [or whatever you prefer to label it]" at 400.00

Make another line item for "Retainer Paid: [Date] / [Transaction ID]" at -1000.00 (yes, put a minus sign in front)

Hope this works.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Keith_S
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much!!

@sharpiemarker wrote:

@Keith_S 

Hope this works.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.