Why is it so hard to activate Paypal Payouts (via API)! Extremely frustrated.

loopaddicts
New Community Member

I need to integrate the Paypal Payouts via API to my Wordpress website.

When I go to 'My Apps and Credentials' and create anew API key it says the following at the top ...

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 08.35.58.png

Then, when I go to the account eligibility link, I see the following...

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 08.28.22.png

Payouts is not enabled for my live API.

It says to contact Paypal to get this activated. And here https://developer.paypal.com/docs/business/make-payments/payouts/

I have contact Paypal a month and a half ago. I got a reply saying it has been activated, which it hasn't. They seem to think it's the same as Mass Payments. But if this is the case, why is my account eligibility still saying I don't have access to Payouts via API? I replied saying this and had no responde for A MONTH AND A HALF!

Today, I contacted via the chat to ask what's going on. I need the Paypal Payouts via API activated and got the following response from a member of staff called Annalyn ...

Welcome to PayPal! My name is An, I will be assisting you today. I can see from your account that you have recently joined us, we would like to welcome you.

I do apologize if you feel like being ignored, that's not the experience we want you to have.

I understand that you are contacting us regarding payouts, we also refer to it as mass payments. There's nothing to activate if you wish to send payouts or Mass payment.

You can send money to up to 5,000 people at once with a Mass Payment.

A few things to remember:
•You must have a Business account.
etc. ect.

What on earth is going on here? My account eligibility still says Payouts is not activated, and when I go to my API keys it still says not all features are available for live transactions. 

The steps say to contact Paypal to activate Payouts on the account. However, when I have done that - they keep saying it's activated (even though it isn't) or that it's the same as Mass Payments, which it isn't. I am no way nearer to getting this feature activated on the account, and the support (who I was literally told to contact) don't seem to know what they're doing at all or how to activate it?

Why is this such a complicated and long process to get this activated?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

pitsh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I've been having the same extremely frustrating experience for several weeks now. As it turns out, that "Enable" button doesn't go away, even when you have access. 

So if you're successfully hitting the Sandbox Payouts API, and think you've done everything to request access to Live, hit it and see if it works. You might be banging your head against the wall for no reason.

If you're still stuck, I got a quick non-form reply from a seemingly knowledgeable person by contacting the "Merchant Technical Solutions" desk. They have a separate ticketing system at https://www.paypal-support.com/ (I realize that's a different domain so it seems suspicious, but there's also a direct link via the footers on developer.paypal.com under Support > Technical Support). 

Hope this helps! I know I've personally spent at least 20 hours trying to solve a problem that apparently didn't even exist. 

EDIT: This issue is apparently specific to non-USA payouts Users. Here's a direct quote from Paypal MTS:

"The developer portal is cosmic for all Canadian PayPal Accounts. It will continue saying that even with Payouts enabled. Part of the reason Canadian accounts are required to contact customer service to have it enabled."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.