Transaction fee on a refund?

FreshLondon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks,

A client paid an invoice twice by mistake, they had internet issues and assumed the payment didn't go through the first time as the page crashed.
I understand they should have checked but, let's ignore that and move to the main point here.

I opened up one of the transactions and clicked the 'issue a refund' button.
It seems that:
- I was charged the PayPal transaction fixed price from my own balance for issuing a refund (minimal, can be ignored).
- The amount issued back to the client is minus a PayPal transaction fee (in this case it's almost 10 GBP for the fee alone.

Considering that all that has happened in this situation is numbers in the PayPal database were altered (we have not transferred to a bank or incurred any external charges) I am shocked that the fee was incurred. I am also confused as to why PayPal would allow duplicate payments on the same invoice ID (all invoice content was passed via the API into PayPal) despite the full amount being reached on the previous payment, let's forget this part for now..

I may now have to send the client additional money to cover their loss from the transaction fee, is there something we can do to avoid this?
Is it worth trying to dispute this with PayPal?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and assistance,
Alex

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.