Tax?!

hpsulit1

Ok so I do online sales from home in Louisiana, I understand that customers outside of the state of LA, I don't charge tax. However customers within the state I need to charge their local parishes (county) tax rate.  How am I able to determine their tax rate before an invoice is sent? Im not sure where to find the local taxes for each one and apply it to the invoice before hand.  What if I dont know where the customer is coming to determine their local tax rate? im going cross eyed tryna to wrap my head around it! HALLLP!

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hpsulit1 

Sales Tax Calculator - Look Up Sales Tax Rates for Free

Or work with a sales tax website as a partner to set up sales tax for your website such as https://www.avalara.com/us/en/index.html

or find someone local that can assist.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

hpsulit1

But how do you obtain the shipping address/zip beforehand.  I dont get that information until after the invoice is paid.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hpsulit1 

That's where you'll need to set up your website to have the customer enter their billing and shipping address on your site and then process the cart contents and pass the info to PayPal and your sales tax calculator. Its all complicated coding to automate everything. I'm no expert. So you'll need someone to web develop for you.

And there are web shopping carts providers that are pre-developed to have such capabilities:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/solution-providers

Perhaps you can post in the Merchant Technical forums:

Merchant Integration Technical Support Community

Login to Me Too

hpsulit1

I do not have a website I sell everything through social media. 😩

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hpsulit1 

I see. Hmmm. Facebook has their own online shop set up too. Look do you even meet the thresholds to be charging sales tax? this is something the law is trying to avoid. There's too many variables for one individual seller to handle.

I suggest you read up on this site about whether you even need to be charging sales tax:

https://www.avalara.com/us/en/index.html

Login to Me Too

hpsulit1

As far as? I have a business license.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hpsulit1 

I see. I still say you should do some research and consult a tax consultant. You have a business license but In order to legally collect sales taxes, you must get a seller’s permit or license from your state.

I really recommend you do some research of you'll do yourself a mischief.

Login to Me Too

hpsulit1

and I do have a sellers permit.

Login to Me Too

hpsulit1

I will definitely read up on that. I have a sole proprietorship.. I buy wholesale and sell through facebook by receiving their emails to send them invoices of the items.. I went through the process with being registered to sell through the state and the city. Ive gotten my license. So as far as the city and the state of Louisiana they want their money Haha!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.