Is it safe to cancel an invoice that is not meant for me?

__Rob__
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have just noticed an invoice in my account from GoToDRA, which, from what I can tell, is a US debt recovery agency.  It is also addressed to my wife's email address, which is not the primary address on the account.  I suspect someone guessed or mistyped the email address.  The transaction ID is INV2-KHRZ-NW6N-ESJT-U7UU.  I do not want to open the PDF in case it is malicious, and I don't want to initiate the Cancel process via PayPal in case it starts something I don't want.  Is it possible for PayPal to just remove this invoice request?

I tried "reporting a problem", but I am unable to do that for this type of transaction.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi @__Rob__,

If you've logged into PayPal and see it listed in your activity (not from clicking any links in the email), then you should be able to cancel it from there. I would not trust that this is a legitimate invoice, and you definitely shouldn't click on any links or attachments. 

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi @__Rob__,

Based on what you've described, it definitely sounds like a fraudulent email and invoice. If you check your PayPal account, do you see the invoice in your history? Also, does the email address you by your first and last name? You can find more information on spoof emails here. I hope this helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

__Rob__
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for replying.  The invoice only has this description:

FIRST CASH
Chargeoff Account in Active Debt Collection Status

It has my wife's name on it, but I suspect that someone just guessed an email address, as her email is a standard first.last format.

It also has an invoice date of 7 Nov 2019, and a due date of 4 Nov 2018.

Do you think it's safe for me to "cancel" the invoice from the Paypal activity screen?  Or can I have Paypal remove it?

Thanks,

Rob.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi @__Rob__,

If you've logged into PayPal and see it listed in your activity (not from clicking any links in the email), then you should be able to cancel it from there. I would not trust that this is a legitimate invoice, and you definitely shouldn't click on any links or attachments. 

- Ashley M

Login to Me Too

__Rob__
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I've submitted the cancellation via PayPal.  Hopefully that's the last I hear from them.

Rob.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.