Looks like we're unable to authorize your purchase using Bill Me Later®

ConfusedandMad
New Community Member

What gives?  I too have been getting this message with an attempt to make a purchase on eBay.  I have plenty of "buying power" as BML calls it.  The purchase is for less than half of what I have in buying power.  What gives?  This was the first attempt to use this service and it is fast looking like it will be the last.  What is the purpose of this service when it does not work?  Also, what is with the run around that eBay, PayPal and BML are giving everyone?  Just own up, say there was indeed a glitch and fix it.  This service is completely pointless if it is unusable to a customer that had an account in good standing and plenty of "buying power" to cover a purchase.

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

jeepinbandit
New Community Member

I've been having the same problem even though I have 600+ dollar of "buying power" left everytime I try to make a purchase on the account it says "unable to authorize your purchase".  So far no word on the problem from either paypal or bill me later.

Kinda frustrating.  I've been trying to purchase parts for a car restoration now, I've got two open orders on two different websites that say "awaiting payment" and I can't get their money to them.  😕 

If it's a temproary problem they could let us know or if it's a problem on our ends (which I'm not convinced it is) they they need to assist us in fixing it.

Login to Me Too

ksingh
New Community Member

I have a credit line that fully covers my purchase and then some.  I too am trying to make a purchase and get this notice:

Looks like we're unable to authorize your purchase using Bill Me Later.   I am starting to think it's a scam to get you to buy things from somewhere else.  I guess they don't want to honor no payments/no interest until March 2012 + $10 cash back.  I would like to close the account now and I hope that it doesn't affect my credit score.

Login to Me Too

BruDaniell
Contributor
Contributor

After many emails from PayPal, I decided to try the Bill Me Later option.  I have great credit and no problems, but the $10 rebate for trying it tempted me.

Unsuccessful in getting the Bill Me Later, I received a "unable to authorize"  message.

So, they spend a lot of money and time on a project, yet the customers they want aren't able to use it.  Sounds like poor management.

Login to Me Too

wogaut

Same here.

And of course after all these messages on the board there's nobody here to answer our questions.

Really disappointing.

HELLO SOMEBODY FROM PAYPAL, PLEASE CHIME IN!

W.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for joining the community! 

The error you mention is usually caused when Bill Me Later is declining an application for the initial credit line or when a credit increase would be needed to approve a transaction.  It can also appear if a Bill Me Later application was already declined in the past.

Another common cause for this error is if you were trying to make a Bill Me Later purchase using a PayPal account that already has another type of PayPal credit line.  Only one type of PayPal credit line is available for each PayPal account.  A PayPal account can only have one of the PayPal credit products listed below linked at any time.

PayPal Credit Products:

- Bill Me Later

- PayPal Smart Connect

- PayPal Extras MasterCard

- eBay MasterCard

If there is already a PayPal Smart Connect, PayPal Extras MasterCard or eBay MasterCard on file with your PayPal account, that account would need to be closed before a Bill Me Later account could be created and linked with your PayPal account.

If you already have an open Bill Me Later account but it's not been linked to your PayPal account yet, you can link the accounts by going to http://www.billmelater.com/linkpaypal  .  This process will only work if there are no other PayPal credit products linked with your PayPal account.

I hope this information helps! 😄

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

BruDaniell
Contributor
Contributor

Your explanation is so complicated, it's a wonder anyone can use the program.  I simply have perfect credit, no outstanding debts, no balances on credit cards, and a PayPal account that has been active over ten years.  I applied to the program to defer payment on one purchase in order to get a $10 credit, and was denied.

My confidence in PayPal is diminished by the poor performance of your marketing this product.

Login to Me Too

Sparkle333

That actually does not answer the question. I have over $500 spending power with bill me later, but I keep getting denied for small purchases that would be completly covered by bill me later. This does not make sense.

Login to Me Too

Sparkle333

Also, I do not have any other paypal credit cards, just bill me later, (which is linked to my paypal account) and my bank account.

Login to Me Too

LadyHawke

Frank,

From the posts I see by those who followed your instructions and "cancelled" one account to try to follow the procedure to link BML to PayPal account, it is not worth the effort.  One could end up with no account at all. 

I spent over an  hour today trying to get a straight answer from PayPal and NO ONE  told me the procedure you lined out.  One rep from GE (PayPal's bank) said there is no way to link the two accounts and proceeded to hammer me about "why do you want to link them anyway"?  Which tells me he did not know his job either.

Sounds like the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.  Pretty lame. 

I have a PayPal account in good standing and I have a Bill Me Later account in good standing.  So, the email from Bill Me Later to simply link accounts is a fatal flaw.  When I click on the link, I am advised my accounts are already linked.  NOT TRUE.  If it were true, there would be an option within my account to use BML, and there is not.

If GE owns PayPal AND Bill Me Later, one would think things would be a bit more co-ordinated.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.