How do you NOT use BML?

MarMac2768
New Community Member

I used BML one time and I am beginning to regret it. It was nice to use because I could pay for a larger priced auction that I really didn't have financially at the time. I bought a $140 item and used it a couple of months ago and the payments are low enough to handle it and I am okay with doing THAT ONE ITEM! However, I have bought a couple of other items that were only around $25 and wanted to pay for them from my balance. I go through the process and come to the payment page. There is a button (confirm payment) at the top that tells me about using BML and then there is another button at the bottom like always that says confirm payment as well. About a week ago, I bought an item and came to this page. I clicked the top "confirm payment" button and it said that I had on my receipt I used BML. I then thought that I had **bleep**ed up and said, "Okay, lesson learned" and didn't fuss too much. Tonight, I bought another item, went through the process, I wanted to pay from my balance and not use BML and I clicked the bottom "confirm payment" and it then showed on my account that I had used BML AGAIN!! Now, that is just wrong!! I guess I'll go over and just pay out of my balance, but it will still charge me a fee that I shouldn't have been charged because it charged me by BML by default and it should give the option to use BML or your balance.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Olivia

Hi MarMac2768, welcome to the forums!

I can help here!

The first time you use Bill Me Later, you're asked if you'd like to use it for your future purchases. If that option is selected, it makes BML your default funding source going forward. That doesn't mean you're locked into using it forever and ever though. You still have options!

So what do you do if you do want to leave it as your default, but you want to make one purchase with a different funding source? On that page that shows you the details of your transaction, before you click to confirm and complete the payment, there's a link to change your funding source. You can select a different funding method for that transaction. Once you've done that, review all the details again, and click to confirm and complete the payment if everything looks right.

What do you do if you no longer want to have BML as your default payment method? No problem! You can switch that setting as well. Some users have a different profile view than others, so I'll give both sets of instructions and you can use the one that matches what you see:

• Log in, go to Profile, click Bill Me Later under Financial Information (if you don't see that, use the instructions below), and click to remove Bill Me Later as your preferred payment method under Manage Bill Me Later Account.
  • Log in, go to Profile, click My Money, click Update beside Bill Me Later, and click to remove Bill Me Later as your preferred payment method under Manage Bill Me Later Account.

You can use the same steps to go back and add it at another time if you change your mind.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

dmanny7859
Contributor
Contributor

This user's question is precisely what I am looking to do.  The instructions given seem quite precise but they do not match the reality of the web pages I am presented with.

I do _not_ recall making BML my preferred method.  I would _not_ have done so.  But even beyond the trouble of dealing with three misdirected purchases now being handled there, I do not see the choices described to keep it from happening in the future.

I would request a call from PP/BML to address this.

Dale

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello dmanny7859!

Welcome to the forum!

If the steps above outlined by Olivia are not working for you, I would suggest giving our Customer Service a call so that they may take a look at your account & assist you with adjusting these settings. 

Hope this helps!

Lilly

Login to Me Too

dmanny7859
Contributor
Contributor

Wow.  Reply in six minutes?  That's pretty good.

I think that the issue might be that Olivia's instructions come to a point of _deselecting_ BML as the preferred or default method.  What I see is a choice _to_ make it the default.  Specifically on the My Account" "Bill Me Later Summary" page in a box titled "Manage Bill Me Later account", I am presented with a link "Make Bill Me Later my preferred way to pay".

The problem is that it is acting as if it already is....

Thanks for the quick response,

Dale

PS:  I wish you would have listed the number for customer service.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

dmanny7859--

You can contact our Customer Service by following these steps:

To get the phone number for PayPal:

1. Log in

2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Contact Us"

3. Scroll down to section 2 and click on "Call Us"

4. A customer service number and web PIN will appear. 

Thanks!

Lilly

Login to Me Too

JMyhra
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal Olivia ... For the last 4 months I have opted between PP (funded by my credit card) and BML (credit balance offered: $2,400. No payments required until June, July or August depending on month item(s) purchased).  All was good. Now, this week, BLM is grayed out as an option. Okay, I can live with that. But it certainly would have been nice to know THE CHOICE (option) was NO LONGER available BEFORE I committed to buy yesterday and today. Surrrppprrriiiise!

PayPal's newly instituted "simplied payment" scheme did not work for me.

Login to Me Too

dorani76
New Community Member

How do I completely remove Bill Me Later from my Pay Pal account?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi dorani76, and welcome to the forums!

If the BML balance has been paid, you can contact BML to close the account.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.