HOW TO: Removing Bill Me Later as a Source of Funds

webslog
Contributor
Contributor

Neither PayPal nor Bill Me Later make it simple to de-select BML as a Source for Funds.  Here's how, per PayPal_Amanda.

<---SNIP
Here’s how to remove Bill Me Later as your default payment method for your PayPal account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click “Profile.”
  3. Click “Bill Me Later" under Financial Information. 
  4. Under “Manage Bill Me Later Account," click to remove Bill Me Later as your preferred payment method.

If you are considering closing your Bill Me Later (BML) account, you need to call BML at 866-528-3733 between 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM Eastern time, 7 days a week, to let them know you are closing your BML account.

<---SNIP

Here's the rub.  You may have to do this a couple of times.  I have turned off BML as a funding source several times and charges continued to appear on my BillMeLater account ... charges that I thought were being paid via the bank account I have associated with my PayPal account.  Ended up costing myself about 66 bucks in fees.

EDITORIAL:

For as cool, and easy-to-work-with a company as I've found PayPal to be, the Bill Me Later/PayPal relationship is the complete opposite ... difficult to change settings, difficult to remove as a payment source, and undependable once it's been removed as a Payment Source.  As I noted, I turned BML off as a funding source on at least two different occasions following these precise instructions and somehow, PayPal either didn't register the change or (and this is what worries me most) the change that I made didn't "stick" once I hit 'Enter'.  

Look, like all creditors, BML are leaches.  I don't begrudge them their right to earn money off the distractedness of customers.  It's business.  But I've very disappointed in PayPal for linking themselves and their users' accounts so completely with BML.  Linking your PayPal account to BML is like stepping in gum ... you'll never get the two completely separated from each other.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

nileivan3968
New Community Member

hello there listen, i have a question for you, if for example want to buy something and it cost like 200 andi want to use the bill me later, paypal will cover that for me right? and how long can i pay and how much the fees, if you can give me an example, i'll be waiting for you answer, thanks.

Login to Me Too

webslog
Contributor
Contributor

nileivan - As I understand it, BML can be used as a payment source just like your checking acount or bank card.   And BML is just another credit card ... minimum payments, interest charged, late fees assessed, etc.  THose terms would be based on whatever terms are in effect at the time that you sign up with BML.  I first used BML because they were offering a 6 mos. no interest (total accrued interest due at the end of the period if balance not paid off or if payment is late).  It's a fairly standard deal and it allowed be to spread the burden of an expensive item across a couple of paychecks.

Where you need to take care (and I needed to have taken care) is making sure with each transaction that Paypal is debiting the correct payment source.  Even though I had de-selected BML as my preferred way to pay, A a couple more paypal transactions got charged to BML.  I ignored the "statement is ready" emails from BML because I thought I had a zero balance, having paid off the item in good time.  This wasn't the case and I ended up costing myself about US$70 in late fees. I wish I could blame someone else, but the fact was that I should have paid attention to the emails instead of assuming all was taken care of.

Login to Me Too

fnpd_cq
Contributor
Contributor

BML continuing to show as your default funding source may not be a PP issue.  This might be related to the merchants you shop with.  I've had this happen to me... I bought something from a merchant where I paid w/ PP and on the merchant's site, created an acct which ended up storing my financial info (BML) for quicker checkout the next time I shop.  I later turned off BML as my default funding source thru PP.  But, by the merchant storing my info during the my intial checkout, the next time I made a purchase, the merchant had my info stored, set and ready to go w/ BML as my funding source. 

This isn't the case w/ all merchants but w/ a few merchants it is a problem.  I'd suggest either changing your financial info w/ merchants if saved and re-confirming your payment method each time you checkout w/ PP.  This has worked for me...

Login to Me Too

JPC
Contributor
Contributor

The problem seems to be that the Bill Me Later option is overriding the Paypal option which i have talked to a Paypal rep. They are looking into the problem and should have it fixed shortly. If you seem to keep having this problem contact Paypal by phone,not by e-mail because they will never get back to you if  you use e-mail.

Login to Me Too

gnosy
Contributor
Contributor

@fnpd_cq wrote:

BML continuing to show as your default funding source may not be a PP issue.  This might be related to the merchants you shop with.  I've had this happen to me... I bought something from a merchant where I paid w/ PP and on the merchant's site, created an acct which ended up storing my financial info (BML) for quicker checkout the next time I shop.  I later turned off BML as my default funding source thru PP.  But, by the merchant storing my info during the my intial checkout, the next time I made a purchase, the merchant had my info stored, set and ready to go w/ BML as my funding source. 

This isn't the case w/ all merchants but w/ a few merchants it is a problem.  I'd suggest either changing your financial info w/ merchants if saved and re-confirming your payment method each time you checkout w/ PP.  This has worked for me...

WOW,THATS good info,ya know the bill me later i as said a seperate credit card not issued by paypal,the paypal reference is just a comon cam of paypal ect,this credit card is up to 25%apr,have fun,it is a inhouse credit card specifically for certain merchants,no it is not a real credit card,no paypal is not responsible,because of scam between merchants and bill me later it is quite resasonable to assume they infact as statistics show may be in cahoots with extra charges,even if you could have stopped extra fees,i think maby you closed account properly and then they scamed you,

Login to Me Too

hannie5
Contributor
Contributor

I have checked and checked and I see no Bill Me Later button under the Financial options section of my PayPal account.  Where else could it be?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.