when i log in it asks for my checking account thats already verifyied

Hansl
New Community Member

so i log into paypal 2day and before i can see my accout details its ask to verify my whole checking account, is that somehting paypal uses for security?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Andy

Hansl- You are exactly correct.  We will sometimes ask you to verify the full financial information we have on file to make sure it's you trying to access your account.  We will only ask you for information that you've already provided or in some rare cases for information that can be garnered from trusted public sources (this is again for verification and it isn't just common information that you could search the web for). 

The only time you should be concerned is when you go to log in and it's asking for your full Social Security Number (that you haven't provided to us), the PIN numbers of your credit cards, things like that.  I've seen examples of a pretty insidious computer virus that makes a page that looks frighteningly like ours asking for this information.  If you should see that run a virus scan and you may even have to take it in to have it professionally scanned, because I've heard it's pretty tenacious.

Hope that addresses your concerns.

Andy

Login to Me Too

Melissa_Z
New Community Member

Mine is doing that too. It asks for my credit card or bank that was originally used to set up payment with paypal, credit card number, that 3 digit number on the back of my credit card and my full social security number. If this is a virus, how do I get rid of it. I can't imagine Paypal asking for the information they already have. Help

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Melissa_Z- Well, I know that there are times when we will ask for information we already have; that's the best way to verify who's accessing your account, ask a question you already have the answer to.

In this case, I'm thinking that we're asking for a few things too much.  Especially the CVV number from the back of your card.  I'm thinking you're correct and that you have a pretty insidious virus.  You're gonna want to run a virus scan (and maybe a couple) and make sure that it scans for a 'root kit' because that's probably what this is.  If you do all that and it either doesn't find anything or it's still asking for the same information, I would recommend taking it to a professional and have them sniff around and find it.

Best of luck!

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.