credit card primary source then bank account

sloman1
New Community Member

Howdi I nake credit cards primary and bank account secondary source?

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

beachcombermart
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Kevin wrote:

Hello Eurykrates

When you have a bank account and a credit card on file, the bank will always be the default funding method.  You can switch your transaction to use your credit card by clicking the 'change' link before completing your payment and this would need to be done on a transaction by transaction basis.

KB

PayPal_Kevin, I recently (2days ago) signed up on paypal & linked it to my credit card only as my default funding method as this was my preferred option, and this was specified as allowed during the sign/up registering procedure of paypal. And I have confirmed and activated my paypal account & my profile on "my account" shows all the correct info including the correct credit card info I inputted as my default funding source. I did not & have not linked my paypal to my bank account as I do not want that option to be my defualt funding method. Why then when I tried to pay the paypal money request I received from the merchant requesting for payment through paypal for the item i was purchasing, was I not allowed to do so by paypal when it stated in a kind of error message on screen that I was not allowed to use my credit card and that I should instead link my bank account to my paypal account? What gives. This is still on-going at this time & it is embarrasing in terms of my credibility with the vendor who is still waiting for me to purchase his item. What gives? Can you help me by telling me asap what I need to do to shop online, payoff the still pending transaction & pay with my credit card which is my default funding method? Available credit on my credit card is not a problem. Appreciate info on how to fix this. Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

Rivergull
Contributor
Contributor

Why do I think this is all a 'setup' to profit banks!! ???   It simply shouldn't be this hard to choose between billing one's checking account or billing one's credit card.  Very sneaky, Mr. PayPal.

Login to Me Too

photorpm
New Community Member

That is just plain STUPID!    Can't PayPal change this?  I'm sure it's about MONEY (everything is) rather than customer service.

Login to Me Too

rococco
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I was running into this same problem and wanted to check out my solution before posting to anybody here.  I both buy and sell on ebay as a hobby only.  I'm verified with PayPal and so I have a bank account and credit card linked to my PayPal account.  I prefer to pay for purchases with my linked credit card...NOT with PayPal funds or going into my bank account.  Whenever I sell something I usually transfer the money pretty quickly out of PayPal and into my bank account, so I usually have a $0 balance in Paypal.  I recently sold some things and wanted to buy something about the same time.  When I went to pay for my item, my credit card would not come up as a payment option...only my PayPal funds or my bank account.  I thought maybe my credit card (which I had recently updated) had gotten deleted, but when I went in to "my account" "edit/add a credit card" it showed it was already there.  That's when I realized what my problem was...I had money sitting in my PayPal account...enough money to pay for my purchase.   PayPal's algorithm says it will always pull from any funds sitting in the PayPal account first, and if no funds are there it will go to what you have designated as your primary account next.  Somehow my bank account had gotten changed to my primary account instead of the way I wanted it, which was for primary to be the credit card.   So first I checked in "my account" and into the "edit credit/debit card" and found that small little button on that "edit" page near the top that says "make this my primary (optional)" and I checked it and saved it.  Then I transferred my funds out of PayPal so that I had a zero balance.  Then I went in to pay for my purchase and found that now my bank account AND my credit card were showing up as choices for Payment just like I wanted with my credit card also designated as my backup funds account.  

So the secret to being able to use your credit card for payments rather than your bank account is make sure you go into that edit page for your credit card and check that little "make primary" box and then make sure you don't have enough funds in your PayPal account to pay for what you are buying and  your credit card should come up as a payment option.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello rococco

Thank you for your reply and you had some great information to share.  I do want to correct one statement though and that is that you can not set the credit card as the primary funding source.  The scenario you have described only allows you to set a primary credit card, if you have more than one, as your backup funding source.

What I mean by this is that when you have a bank and a credit card your bank will always be the default and there is not a way of changing this.  You do have the ability to set a credit card, if you have more than one, as the primary backup funding source which means that if a bank transaction is initiated and fails after two attempts, then we will attempt to debit the card you have designated as the primary backup funding source.

You are correct that when you have enough money in your balance to cover a purchase you will not see the credit card as an option so you will either need to withdrawal the money first or use it before the credit card will show as an available option.  Thanks for being part of our community and have a great day.

KB

Login to Me Too

writeimp
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand this logic as a business owner trying to use PAYPAL as my "go to" payment option for my clients. I've officially lost my first client when I switched to paypal- because she likes to keep her PAYPAL funds available for her EBAY purchases and use her credit card when needing to pay "business related purchases" with her credit card!

I'm more than frustrated that PAYPAL requires people to use all the money in their PAYPAL account FIRST before allowing people to choose when they use the cc and when they use their paypal monies! Ugh. Thanks PAYPAL!

Login to Me Too

carallel
Contributor
Contributor

What do I do if I don't want a credit card?

Login to Me Too

goldenalina
New Community Member

Hi there,

I wanted to do the same as many others- make my credit card the default funding source (as the time it takes for transactions through the bank account takes way too long!). However I made a series of transactions for which I allowed to go through my bank account- these were all rejected by my bank and therefore went to my 'default' source instead. PayPal said it was to do with my bank and I should contact them- which I did- however they only had a records of two of the numerous transactions which I had made through PayPal and also said that the PayPal needed to make sure they applied or took the funds through a direct debit within an allotted time (which I assume wasn't done??).

So fair enough I contacted PayPal (loved going back and forth by the way- I have nothing better to do with my time....), and got 'nowhere'.

They really didn't seem to grasp the situation I was trying to relay to them, I talked to two people- not sure if its a language barrier thing or if they're simply trained to follow scripts and listen out for 'buzz words'.

So I finally talked to someone who was apparently an accounts person (I'm actually laughing while I write this); I told him the situation again- and got no real answers, but he said that I could 'remove my bank account' and just have a credit/ debit cards as my source of funds. Now if this is true then the answers which were written for the other questions don't make any sense! Can I remove it and as a result have a credit card as primary??

Please PayPal, you guys are great and everything and I understand its cheaper to have foreign call centres but please make sure those guys are trained properly in all aspects. And if possible change your system so that credit cards can be made primary and there will be no more hassle!!

Thanks...

Login to Me Too

Rivergull
Contributor
Contributor

Agree!

@goldenalina wrote:

.... And if possible change your system so that credit cards can be made primary and there will be no more hassle!!

Thanks...

Login to Me Too

Rivergull
Contributor
Contributor

I'm really upset with PayPal.  I always pay for my purchases through PayPal with my credit card.  Has always been that way.  

Today I bought something from a vendor and somehow or other PayPal decided to 'take the money' from my 'checking account'.  Trouble is, I know there isn't enough funding in my ckg acct.  They 'say' they will 'secondarily' bill my credit card.   Well... isn't my bank going to charge me a 'bounced fee' ???   

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.