Why can't we designate our Credit Card as our primary resource?

owlman4
New Community Member

Before I cancel my recurring payments through a secondary vendor, I wanted one last time to see if there is any way for me to designate my Credit Card as the primary resource for charges coming through PayPal.  I do not maintain my checking account to handle anything except KNOWN monthly automatic deductions.  When PayPal hits my checking account, it either pulls down the balance below what I need for automatic deductions or it throws me into an expensive overdraft bank charge. How insane is this?

I'm really ready to drop PayPal entirely and just live with the consequences.  It's process of requiring bank account information in the first place, then making that information the default for payments really is a shady practice that tells you a lot about the underyling company that's behind it.  Further, it's the stuff that class actions suits are made of, and since I've had to contend with this for a period of years, that seems like the appropriate way to go.

Any attorneys out there willing to take this on?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Roscoe00
New Community Member

I totally agree. This is getting more and more fishy. They are covertly discouraging credit cards as much as possible. The last payment I made I made there was no option to change the funding source. If you go to the interface you can't make a credit card a primary source and there is no explanation anywhere as to what the policy is. I frankly don't like my checking account info in play. So I think I will cut down my funding sources to minimize exposure.

Login to Me Too

xdankx311
New Community Member

Funny because I've been frustrated this entire time, thinking it was a bug to be fixed.  Looks like, after all these complaints, they aren't planning on addressing this.  An Admin has already recognized it and claimed there's no way to change the default.  We signed up with our credit card and it obviously made PayPal successful.  Now they're biting the hand that feeds them and I hope it will be their demise unless they fix it.  

Surely a class-action suit is in order.  Can you imagine the severity of this?  Millions of transactions paid through debit cards, which offer no protection or rewards, on top of fees and overdrafts?  1%-2% cash back on all those purchases from customers unaware of the default payment method?  Defense arguments to this are weak.  We can review the terms of "PayPal Certified", but even if there's wiggle room, they won't stand up in court.  It's a shady practice similar to those "automatic renewal" subscriptions, which have settled in class-actions (WebRoyalty/Shoppers Discounts...).

For the record, I'm usually against frivilous suits, but this holds merit, especially since they're aware.  

Login to Me Too

Brian_S
Contributor
Contributor

To PayPal, it's not a bug, it's a feature. 

Login to Me Too

boo-hoo
New Community Member

Jeez, it's a pain in the butt just to get a user name, no wonder they won't let you use your credit card for your primary source!!!  My bank recently made changes that forced me to one account, meaning that if someone who might be a little bit prone to do so, could just get right in there.  I used to put the amount I was going to pay into the second account, but that will cost me $10 a month.  I'm **bleep**ed either way.  Maybe someone needs to start a NEW system that really is you pal!

Either way, it's sure making me think about different ways to transfer money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.