Paypal link bank account setup problems.

XtrSAWar3
New Community Member

I have just made a new account for paypal and when I try to link my bank account I get this message "We're sorry, but that bank can't be linked to any more PayPal accounts. Please link a different bank account." The only thing is I have never used this bank account before ever the last thing I bought on paypal with my old account was in 2007 with a different bank & bank account that went out of buisness. I also know for a fact that this card has never been entered in any paypal account I double checked everything. So why is paypal making it such a hassle? Please don't tell me the regular.. "Well you must have a previous link account to that bank account because I DON'T. Anyone that knows what to do please help.

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

PayPal_Olivia

Hi flexoid, and welcome to the forums!

The first thing to do is to get access to your old account. You can go through password recovery on the site, even if you no longer have access to the email account you used. If you run into any snags, give Customer Solutions a call and have the full bank account number handy for verification (there will be a few other bits of info to verify, but the bank account number will help get you started).

Once you get control of the old account, you can either update the information and begin using the account, or remove the bank, or close the account outright. A bank account may only be on one PayPal account at a time.

I hope this helps!!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

flexoid
Contributor
Contributor

I no longer deal with my old bank (TD). They fumbled a mortgage deal with me that cost me thousands of $. I have an account with a new bank (ScotiaBank) using the same email address, which is probably what the problem is. I would like to set up a business account with my new bank using my current email address. Do I still have to contact customer service to delete the old bank account or can I do it myself? How? Thanks Olivia.

Peter

BTW, I was able to get the "BUY NOW" code pasted into my web site. I am assuming the money will go into the Scotia bank account as applied. It's all very confusing to me.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi flexoid,

There are a couple of items to clarify here, and I'm happy to shed some light on things so you can get rolling in the right direction.

First, funds in an account won't automatically go into any bank. You'd have to withdraw them. When you click withdraw, it will show you what bank you're using. You should always double-check the selection before completing the action to prevent the need to chase funds down at a bank with which you're no longer interested in doing business.

Next, if your PayPal account that you're using right now has your active email address, just make sure the bank details are also accurate. If they are not and you want to use the bank that's on the old account, you'll have to get access to the old account to remove it and make it available for use.

If your old email address and your old bank account are associated together on an old account and all are defunct, there is only a slim chance it would be a problem leaving it dormant. The only eventuality where it could be a problem is if someone sends a payment to your old email address and you need to get access to it. This most typically happens if you use an old eBay listing as a template, because the settings from that listing carry over if not manually edited. If that ever occurs, you'll wish you'd taken care of things now while you have access to the full bank account number instead of later when you'd have to dig up old records or jump through hoops with your bank to recover the information. PayPal takes the safety of everyone's money very seriously, and the expectation is that the owner of an account will be able to completely verify the information they used on the account in order to have control of the account.

It's up to you, though. To be completely honest, there's an old PayPal account of mine that I set up probably about 10 years ago with some combination of address, phone number, bank info, and email that I wouldn't even be able to begin to recall (ah, the carefree days of youth! Records? Who keeps records?) Luckily, I know I was always broke back then, so there's little chance that I'm missing out on any money. 🙂

I hope this helps!!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

DeanReid
New Community Member

I'm having a similar problem with PayPal, though I may know the cause of it- I just don't know how to fix it! I created an eBay account years ago and most likely linked it to this bank account however that eBay account has gone unused for years and I am now active under another. I cannot upgrade my account because I think it may still be linked to the old paypal account from the old eBay profile... Help?!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi DeanReid, and welcome to the forums!

If you're unable to locate the account that your bank account is associated with, you can give Customer Solutions a call. Once you reach a representative, they can search for your old account using your bank account number, and verify your ownership of that information. They can assist you in getting into that account to remove your bank information, or potentially remove it for you.

To contact Customer Solutions, log into your regular PayPal account and click Contact Us at the bottom of the page. Then click Call Us and call the number that populates there for you.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Pink1
New Community Member

Hello, I have been having the same problem. I put my routing number and account number in and it says that it will not link! And im sure nobody has used it because theres no one around to use it!. PLEASE HELP

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Pink1, welcome to the forums!

Does it say that it won't link because it's on another account? If so, please call Customer Solutions. They can search by the account number and shed light on the mystery. If it's some other error, please elaborate here and we'll try to help.

Thanks!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

emetib
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am part of a non-profit student organization -- I would post using that account's email, but the nonprofit account status is pending and the account is limited so I cannot post here.

We operate under an umbrella non-profit oragnization as a student affiliate organization, and can access and make payments using the funds allocated in a sector of our umbrella non-profit organization's bank account. We would like to sign up for PayPal using our umbrella non-profit's bank account information because the bank account is not partitioned, however it says that it is already linked. Is it possible to somehow verify this account using the same banking account information?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi emetib, and welcome to the forums!

A bank may only be used on one PayPal account at a time.

We absolutely want to help you accept PayPal payments for your organization. We also want to make sure that the bank account attached to your account is designated specifically for actions made on that particular account. Without this separation, the accidental movement of funds to the wrong place could occur. While that would be unfortunate and complicated in any situation, it also has the possibility of violating regulations when it involves non-profit organizations. By maintaining a separation of purpose for each bank and PayPal account, that can be avoided.

I definitely suggest emailing the compliance department to determine the best solution for your specific situation. I'm guessing that a separate account under the name of the affiliate organization or a second account in the name of the umbrella organization will be necessary, with the account holder as an authorized signer. They will be able to tell you for sure. To reach them, reply to one of the emails you received regarding your limitation.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

crh

I'm having the exact same issue. I have an account I know is not linked to another PayPal account, but I keep getting the error message: "We're sorry, but that bank can't be linked to any more PayPal accounts. Please link a different bank account." My account is with Zions Bank. If PayPal had a way to debug this error, it would be nice. Okay, if you say the bank account is already linked, tell me to which PayPal account so I can reach out to that person.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.