Paypal link bank account setup problems.

XtrSAWar3
New Community Member

I have just made a new account for paypal and when I try to link my bank account I get this message "We're sorry, but that bank can't be linked to any more PayPal accounts. Please link a different bank account." The only thing is I have never used this bank account before ever the last thing I bought on paypal with my old account was in 2007 with a different bank & bank account that went out of buisness. I also know for a fact that this card has never been entered in any paypal account I double checked everything. So why is paypal making it such a hassle? Please don't tell me the regular.. "Well you must have a previous link account to that bank account because I DON'T. Anyone that knows what to do please help.

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

revollucion
Contributor
Contributor

Hello I have a same problem! And paypal is realy not helping at all. I phoned they said it is in policy but i couldnt fint it afterwards. I asked for help thruu email and i got answer related to conforming bank account instead of add bank account and my problem! Usseles.  I dont want to open new bank account somewhere only becouse they not accepting my current bank account! All is related to security but OMG it is my account and I can prove it easily..  ;( it is all stupid

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi XtrSAWar3 and revollucion, and welcome to the forums!

The first thing to do is to make absolutely sure that you're entering the bank account and routing numbers correctly. Include any leading zeroes, etc. It should match the numbers on your check.

If you've double-checked the accuracy of the numbers and you are still receiving that message, then that number has been added to a PayPal account previously. Is there someone in your household who might have used the account information? Was your information used without your permission? Take a look at your bank statements and see if you can find any charges you didn't approve. Charges to your bank would only be able to be made if the bank were confirmed, which means that the person using the account would have to have access to your personal financial documents or online account post sign-in.

The last possibility is that someone may have mis-keyed their own bank account number and added yours by mistake. If they couldn't confirm it, Customer Solutions can help you get it freed up once ownership of the account is proven. This can't be done more than once or twice or the system locks the account number out as a security risk. (That's only because if someone keeps accidentally using your account, the safety of your funds would require that a new number issued and PayPal won't allow the compromised number to be used.)

Much more often than not, a customer will call up knowing that the account has never been used before. Some details are validated over the phone and it's soon discovered that there was a completely legitimate and authorized transaction a few years ago that has since been forgotten. Sometimes it was a spouse who used the account. Give Customer Solutions a call and they'll help you get to the bottom of it.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bella4126
Contributor
Contributor

What the heck!!!! There is a very obvious problem here with the links between bank and paypal. Kinda makes you think paypal is a racket. I know years ago I quite them cause of things getting **bleep**ed up with them on my bank account. Now that I find I am back with Paypal I can not pay my bill cause I can not link my checking account to them. Well to heck with it. They will have to find me to get me to pay my bill. Cause I am through trying to jump hoops to connect my personal checking account to their site. This obviously makes no sense. Paypal needs to find a way to address this issue. Until then Goodbye!!!!   Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi bella4126,

If you're still having trouble linking your bank and you've double-checked the number when you entered it, try calling Customer Solutions. Be prepared to give the full bank account number over the phone. The representative will validate some other information with you, and they'll help you get to the bottom of the reason why the bank account is associated with another account. More often than I can count, the answer turns out to be some one-off situation where a family member wanted to buy something and the accountholder agreed to make an account to do so and promptly forgot about it. It's the easiest thing in the world to forget something that you're coordinating for a one-time scenario.

On the flip side, if someone has managed to compromise your bank information (meaning they have gotten a hold of your physical bank statements or your online banking password), it's much better to find out about that as soon as possible and get it resolved quickly. This is among the most rare of circumstances, but bears investigation.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PCON22
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Olivia,

I am having a similar issue as the original poster.

When I contacted Customer Solutions I was told to call my bank because the initial 'test deposits' were returned.  I called my bank and confirmed with them that this is something that needs to be handled through Paypal.

Can you offer any additional advice on how I can reset my bank account to link it properly?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

PCON22,

The test deposits need to be accepted by the bank in order to complete the confirmation process. If the bank refuses them, the bank account will not be able to be confirmed and may be incompatible for use with PayPal, unless the bank can make some sort of concession to accept the deposits. This is very rare. Is it a credit union or some other type of small bank?

If you have another bank that can be used, you can begin the process with that one.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

walton47
New Community Member

I have 2 Paypal accouts and I wish to withdrawn funds from each account routinely and I want the ability to deposit withdrawal funds into the same bank checking account.  Why can't I do this?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi walton47, and welcome to the forums!

A bank may only be actively associated with one PayPal account. However, you can add multiple email addresses to one PayPal account, so if you are looking to receive funds at two separate addresses, this can be done through one PayPal account.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

flexoid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia,

I think I know what happened. I set up an account with PayPal back in the Stone Age just to make purchases, and forgot all about it.  I tried to set up a business account and sell gift certificates on my web site, but I get the evil "We're sorry, but that bank can't be linked to any more PayPal accounts. Please link a different bank account." from **bleep**. Smiley Mad

Does that mean PayPal doesn't like ScotiaBank?  Or does it mean the wires got crossed in the process? Do I have to cancel my first account (the one that doesn't accept the password)  that has been inactive for some time?  Is that the problem?  Or worse, do I have to go to another bank?  Check out my web site and when I get this wrinkle ironed out and you can buy something nice for your mother...I'm selling gift certificates.

Thank you...I'm anxious to get things going.

Peter

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.