PayPal Debit Mastercard declined at POS???

Dana7878
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed recently that, when using my PayPal Debit Mastercard, it will get declined when there are not enough funds in my PayPal account.  I was under the impression that, even when PayPal funds are not available, the transaction can still be completed using funds from a confirmed bank account or debit card.

I have a healthy confirmed bank account and several debit cards listed on my PayPal account, but it seems they are not being used as "backup" when I am out of funds in my PayPal account.

Am I understanding this incorrectly?  Or is there a setting somewhere I may have overlooked?  I am planning to go out of town later this week and would like to use my PayPal Debit Mastercard exclusively, but I would like to know that it will not get declined for insufficient funds.

Thanks to any who can assist!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Dana7878
Contributor
Contributor

So apparently I was indeed overlooking a setting.  I hunted around and realized that, while my PayPal account itself had backup funding, the Mastercard debit needed to be set up with backup funding as well.

For those who are facing this situation, click on "PayPal Debit Matsercard" under "My Account Tools" on the right hand side of your My Account tab.  You should be automatically prompted to add a backup funding source to your card. 

HTH!!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

Dana7878
Contributor
Contributor

So apparently I was indeed overlooking a setting.  I hunted around and realized that, while my PayPal account itself had backup funding, the Mastercard debit needed to be set up with backup funding as well.

For those who are facing this situation, click on "PayPal Debit Matsercard" under "My Account Tools" on the right hand side of your My Account tab.  You should be automatically prompted to add a backup funding source to your card. 

HTH!!

Login to Me Too

lockedhalo
New Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to post your solution.  I had the same problem and you quickly answered my question! 😃

Login to Me Too

doug688
New Community Member

I have a UK PayPal Account and apparently I am not eligible to obtain a PayPal Mastercard Debit Card. Why is this ? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.