Joint bank acounts & PayPal

radioengineer
Contributor
Contributor

Having seen one or two comments about PayPal users and joint bank accounts I would like to relate my experiences. My wife has been a PayPal account holder for some while in connection with her use of Ebay. I recently decided to start using Ebay and was obliged to open a PayPay account. Oh what a nightmare  lots of automated respones requesting that I register an account by use of a bank card and when I did It  was invalid because the account was aready regsitered to my wife.  I eventually spoke to PayPal but it was like platting treacle trying to get the person to understand the problem and offer a solution. What on earth is the problem ? surely there must be thousands of couples with their own debit cards on a joint account and both wishing to have a PayPal account. I can understand them flagging up an issue if people with no association to a specific account try to register it, but when it is an account in the names of the applicants what is the issue?  Surely PayPal can accomodate this situation.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

tljacobs
New Community Member

I have the same problem. I bought something on Etsy. The seller shipped it. I then got an email from PayPal saying my payment didn't work because my bank account was closed. I then remembered that it was on my old college bank account, so I tried to apply my new bank account (joint with my wife) and it said I couldn't because that account was already on my wife's PayPal. To make things more difficult, Etsy doesn't have another way to pay for things, so I'm going to have to mail the Etsy seller a check. Anyway, all this to say I'd love an answer if someone can provide it.

Login to Me Too

jenny4
Contributor
Contributor

I agree! I've had this complaint for so long. I actually had to open a small savings account years ago (which works for a bank account, btw) just to open a second PP account for my husband. This is ludicrous! A joint account should obviously work for both parties paypal's accounts. 

I don't think it's up to PayPal to be concerned about a spouse or partner using the account with the other partner unknowingly for PayPal, especially since it's pretty easy to open a simple joint savings account. Let the states worry about any legal banking issues. Since this idiocy has been going on for many years, I doubt the policy will be changed, but it's so obvious how to get around that it's really a silly rule.

In fact, I really only use one PP account for both eBay buying & selling, so it's REALLY easy to get around. If I'd known how simple it is to circumvent the whole problem, I probably wouldn't have even opened a second PP account. 

Login to Me Too

vilezombie
New Community Member

I also /just/ ran into this problem as well. Recently my fiancee and I just opened a joint bank account and closed out our older ones. Though we both have different ebay accounts, we both only have the one bank account now which, to my dismay, just caused us this headache. Where is the solution indeed! You are not alone with this problem obviously and while paypal doesn't seem close to correcting this, they also can not give a valid reason for making this so darned hard. I refuse to open a second account or a savings account to have a temporary fix to this situation because it's such a waste of time. Come on paypal, people do share their money and spend from the same pool of available cash. Certainly some of you do this as well.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.