How to prevent somebody creating a paypal account in your name

jsteelm
Contributor
Contributor

How to you prevent somebody from using a stolen credit card number and starting a paypal account with it?  I was contacted by my bank about a $1 fee for paypal which I didnt recognize imediatly and said it was false.  Turns out there were other charges totaling up from the paypal account.  What info do you need to register a card with your paypal account?  I think this should require the same name as the card and tax id be verified not just the address.  Can I have paypal launch a criminal investigation on the ip of the account it was apparently registered in?  If not, can I please have the ip address.  They stole my private credit card number, So the least I can get in return is a quassi-public IP to file with the proper authorities.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Whoa there!

The $1 fee was a temporary charge that would have dropped off in a few days - it's just a query by Paypal to make sure that the credit card actually works.

If there were "other charges", most likely your account was hacked into.

Login to Me Too

luvstampin
Contributor
Contributor

Go buy the $5 security Key.

It works

Login to Me Too

jsteelm
Contributor
Contributor

You both kinda missed my point.  I probably wasn't clear.  My paypal account is secure, not hacked at all.  Somebody opened a NEW paypal account without my knowledge linking to a stolen credit card number of mine.  So what does one need to open a paypal account?  I'm mostly after what information of mine got stolen.  And yes they used this new paypal account to make several purchases (most notably a $2000 purchase online somewhere)

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, there's no way to PREVENT such an account from being opened, just like there's no way to prevent loans being taken out in your name with ID theft.

All you can do is warch your CC account regularly and report any suspicious behaviour.

Login to Me Too

JohnSaville
New Community Member

I have someone trying to get into my account.  Will you please help me?

John

PS:  I have his name & E-Mail address if that will help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.