How can I make a credit card my primary funds source?

dafydd
Contributor
Contributor

I just purchased a product using PayPal; I expected to be sent to the PayPal site to pick which method of payment... but instead, the transaction simply completed without me seeing the PayPal screen at all.  It took the funds from my bank account, and I never had the opportunity to select a credit card instead.

I logged onto PayPal, clicked My Account -> Profile, then clicked My Money:  The screen shows my bank account, a credit card, and a debit card (all are correct); next to the bank account is the parenthetical label (primary).

I clicked on the Debit and credit cards update button, edited the credit card, and checked the Primary checkbox; but that didn't change the profile page, which still lists the bank account as (primary).  (I think the checkbox on the Debit and credit cards update screen just selects which of the cards is the primary card.)

I want the credit card to be the primary payment -- and I also want every purchase to take me to PayPal, so I can select whether to accept the primary funding source or else pick one of the others (bank account, debit card).  How do I do this?  I cannot find instructions in the Help tree.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

wbcarey
Contributor
Contributor

Hey p5ycho29,

If you would read all the other posts you would see that there is no way with the current management of Paypal.

Bill Carey

Login to Me Too

Rmaisel
Contributor
Contributor

@p5ycho29 wrote:

I just created an account, credit card only.  I have purchased 2 items. total 280 dollars. When I go to click payments, there is no credit card in the options at all.. just a link that says add a bank.  I am even a premier member as well.  Any ideas?

This is what I want to do also.

Hello Paypal?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Here is my unanswered question.

This thread is also very telling, because an "advisor" says:

"As for those of you who waste our time by whining, feel free to find another processor."

Login to Me Too

Evans8853
Contributor
Contributor
Add me to list of frustrated and angry PayPal customers. Same/similar to many of the above. Want to pay with my VISA as I have for years with no problems. Had to "verify" my account several months ago which was a real hassle and delayed my payment to an eBay seller and delayed delivery of item I wanted. Had frustrating calls to PayPal "Help" at that time with inane phone tree, but with persistence, finally prevailed. Now,however, unable to pay with credit card after purchase on eBay. Was NOT given option of other funding sources. VISA card that is registered to my account not listed as payment option. Bill Me Later, which I have used in past WAS listed BTW. Searched PayPal's HELP on website and via my account. NO HELP there for this seemly common problem for MANY customers. Called their help number after jumping through several more of PayPal's hoops/obstacles and then had to go through long automated voice recognition menu that was of no help. Finally connected to a woman who was rude, interrupted me and would not listen to my questions and insisted that Bill Me Later was not a valid payment option/funding source, so could not have appeared on the check out screen. I had to ask her to please stop talking so I could explain what I saw on my checkout screen and ask her the few simple questions I had. She continued to talk on, despite my request, saying their hierarchy is PayPal balance > bank account > other sources/credit cards. When I explained I wanted to pay with the VISA that is on my account and NOT my checking account and, I asked why Bill Me Later would show up as an option on my checkout screen, this rude representative of PayPal abruptly hung up on me. This experience has made me realize PayPal is not worth the hassle. Too bad as it will also affect my ability to use eBay and make purchases on eBay. As another person above posted, Amazon or other online services will now get my business. I am fairly well off financially and have a number of investments. If anyone reading this has any money invested in PayPal, my advice is to get out now. Sell!! Won't be long with this kind of poor service dooms PayPal. Too bad as it once was a good service.
Login to Me Too

BobsMom
Contributor
Contributor

There is a way to pay using your credit card, even if it is not listed as your PRIMARy source.

After you buy the item, click on CONTINUE WITH PAY PAL. 

You will come to a screen with Funding sources (very small print).  It will show that your Bank Acct is the Primary Funding Source.  Under it you should see an option that lists the last 4-digits of your credit card.  Select this option and your credit card will be charged.  It has worked several times for me.  Go back into your Pay Pal acct and verify that in fact your card was charged.

I agree that the Pay Pal customer support won't listen to your question and talk over you.  They appear to  be reading prepared statements which have nothing to do with your question.  One can only hope that the Pay Pal moderator of this blog would address this common problem.

Login to Me Too

bo_leggs
Contributor
Contributor

We all realize that we can select the credit card option at checkout. That is only part of the problem, because credit card has to be selected each and every time we make a purchase. The major problem is recurring automatic payments. After the initial payment is made using the credit card, all future payments automatically come out of the checking account rather than being added to the credit card. There is no way to designate that ALL payments be applied to the credit card, and PayPal doesn't  care.

Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

I have NOT tried this yet and worry about losing $75 by giving it a try but a nice girl (Molly)  at Paypal has told me how to make a visa payment.

If anyone does this successfully please let me know.

#1 - Instant payment can only be done from a bank account.

#2 - You can not have a Visa Paypal account - It must have a Bank account as main funding source.

#3 - When you make a purchase there are two confirmation pages as you make your Paypal payment - You MUST be sure to click on the last 4 digits of your Visa or credit card #

which has alreadty been enterered into your Paypal account and approved.

REMEMBER  You must check the 4 diget visa numbers  TWICE on BOTH paypal confirmation pages.

That is from Molly at Paypal.

Hope it works.

It is a bit like Bobsmom's answer.   

Paypal is a major diisappointment lately and I hope some sellers can find an alternate source fo pay -.

Login to Me Too

A_C
Contributor
Contributor

@BobsMom wrote:

"You will come to a screen with Funding sources (very small print).  It will show that your Bank Acct is the Primary Funding Source.  Under it you should see an option that lists the last 4-digits of your credit card.  Select this option and your credit card will be charged.  It has worked several times for me.  Go back into your Pay Pal acct and verify that in fact your card was charged."

It used to work like this - but doesn't anymore? I don't see my credit card listed as an option anymore? Can I delete my bank account and force it to go to my card? Thanks

Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

AC

After conversation  with Holly at Paypal and reading Olivias vague responses I think the truth of the matter is that Paypal 

HAS TO HAVE a bank account in your funds source to be sure you are legitimate.

Beyond that I believe from my experience and others  that  they are being very dishonest in not allowing you to chose your Visa.   

#1 they don't want to pay the % that credit card charge.   #2 they want you to open a Paypal credit card account .   #3 leave large amounts in Paypal .     I think that their arrogance was evident when they refused to allow payment to Wikileaks.   It is now an arrogant and politcal company owned by ebay.

It really is too bad as I did enjoy using both for some time.

They owe me $75.00 in NSF charges so try to use your credit card  and be aware of and prepared to pay your banks NSF charges.

Login to Me Too

galeeb
Contributor
Contributor

You can delete your bank account but then you show as an "unverified" account. That might not be a problem if you're not selling anything on e-bay or another site.

Login to Me Too

rg1
New Community Member

Is Pay Pal trying to avoid the risk of someone using the 'charge back' option on the credit cards? Once your transaction goes through on your checking account, it's much more difficult than if you opt to 'charge back' on your credit card. I haven't had to do this in a long while, but I think the bank or credit union charges a fee if you want to reverse charges on your checking account for a transaction.

Pay Pal needs to allow the consumer to set their credit card or whatever account you want to use as your PRIMARY account. Who's account is it any way? Maybe they need some competition and then they may listen to what people want!

RG

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.