How can I make a credit card my primary funds source?

dafydd
Contributor
Contributor

I just purchased a product using PayPal; I expected to be sent to the PayPal site to pick which method of payment... but instead, the transaction simply completed without me seeing the PayPal screen at all.  It took the funds from my bank account, and I never had the opportunity to select a credit card instead.

I logged onto PayPal, clicked My Account -> Profile, then clicked My Money:  The screen shows my bank account, a credit card, and a debit card (all are correct); next to the bank account is the parenthetical label (primary).

I clicked on the Debit and credit cards update button, edited the credit card, and checked the Primary checkbox; but that didn't change the profile page, which still lists the bank account as (primary).  (I think the checkbox on the Debit and credit cards update screen just selects which of the cards is the primary card.)

I want the credit card to be the primary payment -- and I also want every purchase to take me to PayPal, so I can select whether to accept the primary funding source or else pick one of the others (bank account, debit card).  How do I do this?  I cannot find instructions in the Help tree.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

Sundowners3
New Community Member

All the comments under this topic are identical to my own experience. PayPal has caused me so much trouble with a payment that I will be forced to ask the Seller to refund the money. PayPal is all about greed, just like most big corporations. They have an iron-clad wall around them and no customer service department because they don't care about us, they only care about the money.

Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

What is happening with Paypal?   eBay is not looking that convenient anymore.

I've been making purchases for years and for some reason they are not allowing the preferred  use of the Visa listed as the alternate payment .

I purchased a $580.00 item - asked that they pay with Visa. And why not, as its listed front and center on the Paypal ads with every ebay item.    Knowing I don't have that amount in my bank account.   I have a Visa listed in my Pay pal account.  Which I listed as my payment of choice for this purchase.

They kept using my Bank of America Account which I never leave more than $100 in and now I have two bank charges for $35.  for NSF .  Pay pal should refund me that money-- they where asked to use Visa... Visa is listed and requested on my Paypal purchase.   If they are going to refuse to use the Visa why do they let you add it to their payment system,  advertise it on every purchase as an option and then  insist on trying to use a bank account.

When I got the first notice I went to my Paypal account and again ticked the Visa but they ignored that and once again tried the BoA for payment  and I got a second $35 NSF charge.

I didn't realize until I got my bank statemnt that I'd been dinged  for all those extra charges.

At that rate I could have bought the item just about anywhere.  Forget the eBay method.

Something has changed in their programming as I'd used the Visa a few times before with no problem.and I'm stuck with a $70 loss  for their cussedness.

I've also sent a request to ebay and have not gotten a response.

After reading this blog don't think a phone call will work but man give it a try on a rainy day.

Login to Me Too

wbcarey
Contributor
Contributor

So where is that sweet Olivia, with her succinct comments.  I would think someone from the Company would be interested in responding to all these dings.

Bill Carey

Login to Me Too

bpjedi
New Community Member

I just got off of the phone about this issue today. I'm also frustrated that they try your primary funding source two times before going to your backup source. At my bank, transfers can take 3 days, so I might get stuck with a second overdraft fee because they'll try my checking account a second time before going to my secondary funding source, my credit card.

This is tremendously frustrating. Over the phone, they said to "comment on the forums, because PayPal cares about customer service and is very responsive to requests." Ha!

Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the responses.

I got this answer from Paypal and was also directed to the web answers which are clear as mud. Why do they try our bank account x2.  I'm sure I ticked off Visa from the start - want to know how I didn't get Visa from the start.

Does anyone know if they will do that or is it some sort of reluctance on Paypals part ??

Here is the answer I was sent.  I really wanted to know what went wrong with the request I made to pay with Visa???

Reading this blog doesn't make me anxious to get on their phone system -

Will eBay answer any of these questions.   They do own Paypal?

Instant Transfer payment method will always be the default funding 
method if there is a confirmed bank account and valid credit card on 
file. You can always choose to use the credit card though before sending
out a payment.

When instant transfer is used, we present the charges to your bank. We 
cannot "peek", so to speak, into your bank account. It is up to your 
bank to inform us if there are enough funds in there. 

We value you as part of the PayPal family, and it is important for me to
resolve your concern. If you feel the information provided is not 
enough, do not hesitate to call us at Login, Click "Contact Us", Click "Customer Service Center".

Hope someone knows!!

Login to Me Too

BobsMom
Contributor
Contributor

This didn't help.  I do not understand why I could use my credit card as payment for over $10,000 worth of purchases.  THEN I was required to become "VERIFIED" by adding my checking account.  

I did not realize that becoming verified meant that future payments would come out of my checking account.  I''m sure it probably was in the fine print.

I had called Pay Pal before becoming verified and no one mentioned to me that this was a consequence of verification.  I was only told about the benefits, e.g., lifting payment limits, etc.   

After I found 2 deductions from my checking acct, I went to the Pay Pal site; clicked on Overview and found a page titled "Manage Funding Sources".  Only my VISA card is checked.  The checking acct is visible, but not checked.  Appafently this does not mean anything to Pay Pal..  It appears that he "hierarchy" strategy prevails in spite of my desire to exclusively use a credit card for payment.

I called Pay Pal today and was told the same checkout procedure to use to avoid bank payments.  I've never seen this option; moreover, another blogger says it simply doesn't always work.

Your Help information states that Pay Pal does not have the ability to withdraw funds from my Bank account without my permission.  Well from my perspective as well as other bloggers, it appears that Pay Pal does withdraw funds without our permission.  Apparently we didn't read the fine print--our error.  Now how do we go about denying Pay Pal access to our Bank Account?  I know that I can delete the bank account, but then I can only have  $60 left to spend on my account. That is what I was told today--this is the same as saying we don't want your business.

Login to Me Too

hugocs
Contributor
Contributor

after waiting almost 3 weeks for paypal to get my account straightened out. Now when I want to pay someone, paypal decides for me what to take it out of ... Sometimes its my bank account and other times its my credit card. If I click on alternative payments it just tells me that some venders/merchants wont accept any other forms of payments. I know for a fact that it is not the venders/ merchants, that it is paypal that is picking the form of payment that I am to make, because I bought two items last night from the same vender/ merchant and paypal took one from my bank account and the other from my credit card..

Paypal customer service is of no help, they tend to talk to you as if your dumb and can't understand... I hate when I have to deal with them.

Login to Me Too

Jane0218
Contributor
Contributor

I just deleted my checking account, because I thought it would make my credit card my default payment method.  But I can't find a way to find a default payment method.

My account now is 'unverified.'  So I don't know what will happen if I want to purchase something.  And I do want to purchase something but don't have enough in my PayPal acct to cover it.  What to do?

I keep reading I should delete my checking account in PayPal in case hackers get inside and then clear out my checking account.  So that's what I did.  Little did I know I may have a problem making purchases in future, now that I'm "unverfied."

This isn't right.  PayPal will allow us to make their own credit card a default payment method, I think.  But I don't need another credit card...

Login to Me Too

Jane0218
Contributor
Contributor

I just made a purchase and PayPal used the funds I had in my PayPal account.  There weren't enough funds for the purchase, and they used my credit card for the balance.

So, it looks like my credit card is now my default payment method because I deleted my checking account.

The only thing is, when I get funds deposited into my PayPal account, I can't have them transferred anymore.  Unless I set up the bank account, get if verified, transfer the funds, then delete the account again.

Login to Me Too

profamericain
Contributor
Contributor

I have been wondering the same thing for ages now, but only just discovered this forum. This month I made an unusual number of purchases using paypal. And so I discovered my bank limits the number of transfers I can make from my account to 6 in a month. Who knew? So my last purchase was denied by my bank, which meant paypal went to my back up source of funds - my credit card. No problem, right. No! They charged me $25 for this this. I thought the whole purpose of having a backup source is that if one doesn't have enough money you take from the other. But to charge me a fee for something that cost them not a dime is f**ked up.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.