How can I make a credit card my primary funds source?

dafydd
Contributor
Contributor

I just purchased a product using PayPal; I expected to be sent to the PayPal site to pick which method of payment... but instead, the transaction simply completed without me seeing the PayPal screen at all.  It took the funds from my bank account, and I never had the opportunity to select a credit card instead.

I logged onto PayPal, clicked My Account -> Profile, then clicked My Money:  The screen shows my bank account, a credit card, and a debit card (all are correct); next to the bank account is the parenthetical label (primary).

I clicked on the Debit and credit cards update button, edited the credit card, and checked the Primary checkbox; but that didn't change the profile page, which still lists the bank account as (primary).  (I think the checkbox on the Debit and credit cards update screen just selects which of the cards is the primary card.)

I want the credit card to be the primary payment -- and I also want every purchase to take me to PayPal, so I can select whether to accept the primary funding source or else pick one of the others (bank account, debit card).  How do I do this?  I cannot find instructions in the Help tree.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

mrhozer
Contributor
Contributor

avidcat - Olivia is in recharging mode, she can't hear us at the moment, so we can talk frankly. 

I should also add that Google Checkout is a fine feature for those seeking fast and safe transactions online... and they do so without ****ing over their customers in the process, and without giving robotic resonses to justify genuine complaints. Seriosly... have you ever heard of anoyone with a genuine complaint on Google or Amazon? It's unheard of!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience while I was out of the office with an illness.There are a lot of posts here to respond to, so please bear with me. I'll have responses for you shortly.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi mrhozer,

I regret that I had to edit your post to pull out the last paragraph. There was an issue with the text displaying correctly. If you'd like to repost the information in a new post and see if the font displays appropriately, please feel free!

As for recharging mode - you're not far off. I was pretty ill yesterday, and am not functioning 100% on all channels today either. Please do feel free to talk frankly in any event, as long as you're observing the Community Guidelines, in both letter and spirit. We have absolutely no desire to keep you from communicating with one another productively. The community forums are here for you to seek the opinions and insights of other PayPal customers.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi avidcat,

I understand your frustration. It's definitely not the ideal situation when the selected funding method in a transaction has insufficient funds.

PayPal never charges NSF fees - we present funding alternatives and allow you to control the selection in each and every transaction. Your instructions are the ones that are carried out when a transaction is processed. 

You may have some luck contacting the bank and explaining that you misunderstood the process by which the funding method would be selected when you made your payment. While the bank will be unlikely to credit all NSF fees in this scenario, they do have some degree of leeway in situations of customer error, and will sometimes apply them to some of the fees as a goodwill gesture for customers in good standing. At the end of the day, the bank charging the NSF fees is making a profit on customer error, and they may opt not to charge the fee if you appeal to them to do so.

I really wish you the best in negotiating with the institution that is charging an NSF fee. Please let us know how it turns out.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia,

After all this time and all the customer complaints I find it incredible that you are missing the point.

I sincerely doubt that really could be,

My bank is functioning normall thank you very much.

I am functioning the way I always have with my eBay purchases.

Your sad attempts to blame the victim may make you happy but they will never solve the problem.

I made a $500 ++ purchase on eBay.   My credit cart has a rating of way over that amount.

My US account never has much more than $100. in it.

I have the Visa approved in my PayPal account.   The money is readily available in that  Visa account.

The eBay item I was purchasing clearly states that it accepts credit cards with pretty graphics promoting that function.

Everyone on this blog is fed up with this lie.    You have no right to make 2  ( I repeat TWO ) attempts on our bank accounts and cost us NSF charges to avoid the % that the credit card companies take.     Either paypal uses credit cards or it doesn't.     I've owned a business and the credit card percentages are low for big companies so ystop this nonsense.

Blaming the victim for  this hypocracy is just crazy.

Paypal changed the rules or just got greedy and Paypal owes me $75.

I'd even accept that amount on my Paypal account toward my next eBay purchase.   It would certainly be a revelation if that ever happened but that is what would be fairest to maintain this customer.

Avidcat

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi avidcat,

I'd be happy to clarify again.

When the credit card is an available selection and it is manually selected at the time of the transaction, it is used. If that selection is not made and there are no funds in the balance, then the bank account would be used as a default. If the default is used and there are insufficient funds in the bank, the attempt will be made a second time within a couple of days of the first attempt.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

ppsc
New Community Member
Spoiler
What is the solution of this problem finally?

I have the same problem as the original post.

Everytime that I am trying to pay with paypal, choose directly the bank account instead of the credit card account.

I accessed to my profile, but I couldn't change the primary source, I mean both accounts (credit and bank) are primary in their categories, but I couldn't make the credit card as the primary.

It is annoying to change the default everytime that I am using paypal from the bank to the credit card account.

There is finally a solution for this?

Thanks,

Sergio.

Login to Me Too

avidcat
Contributor
Contributor

Well dafydd it's Xmas time and your blog is stuck in a rut .

No presents coming from eBay /Paypal.

By now you're probably like the rest of us and finding other options.

Login to Me Too

Gator1
New Community Member

Having read all the posts on this subject, I guess I will deselect Paypal as my primary source of funding and switch to my credit card directly.  What a shame!

Login to Me Too

mma4ever
New Community Member
ok any updates. So I added my CC and when I paid on ebay it still had my bank acct as primary so change to come from my cc. Guess what happened it took from my ck and I had od fees, great.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.